+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper cfm

Post Likes

Proper cfm

How do you verify proper blower speed/cfm in cooling mode? The only way I know to do is static pressure/ manufacturer chart or a anemometer. Is there any other way if the chart isn't available or you don't have a anemometer?

Post Likes
    Switch it over to heat and use

Btuh/ delta t x 1.08

If you know what kind of motor the unit is using then you can confirm if it's within "range" by using the static pressure. Residential psc motors max out at .5"w.c. and most ECM motors go up to .8"w.c.

Post Likes
    If it's electric heat be sure all elements are operating before doing the BTU/DeltaT test. I've seen a lot of electric heaters with an element or two not working.

Post Likes
    For electric heat btu/hr = amps x volts x 3.41, so

cfm = amps x volts x 3.41/(1.08 x deltaT)

The wattage can vary considerably from one unit to the next, even when the same size heater package is installed in both. All loads, including the heating elements, the blower motor, relays, circuit board, electric air cleaners, etc.,., must be accounted for, since all of that electricity is turned into heat. Due to differences in supply voltage it's best to actually measure the voltage and amp draw to calculate the wattage rather than entering the heater kit rated watts.

A 5 kw strip at 250 volts will draw considerrably more wattage than the same strip at 230 volts.

Assume an element resistance of 11 ohms when hot. P = V^2 /R

At 250 volts we get P = 62500/11 = 5682 watts

At 230 volts we get P = 52900/11 = 4809 watts

This corresponds to 15% error in estimated airflow, and doesn't even take into account differences in motor wattage. The latter can also vary considerably from one unit to the next, even with the same motor installed, due to differences in duct static and speed tap selection.

Measurement error already provides about a 10% uncertainty in the estimated cfm, so you'll want to be as precise as possible with the btu calculation before using the temp rise method.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 02-09-2013 at 09:26 AM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    For electric heat btu/hr = amps x volts x 3.41, so

cfm = amps x volts x 3.41/(1.08 x deltaT)

The wattage can vary considerably from one unit to the next, even when the same size heater package is installed in both. All loads, including the heating elements, the blower motor, relays, circuit board, electric air cleaners, etc.,., must be accounted for, since all of that electricity is turned into heat. Due to differences in supply voltage it's best to actually measure the voltage and amp draw to calculate the wattage rather than entering the heater kit rated watts.

A 5 kw strip at 250 volts will draw considerrably more wattage than the same strip at 230 volts.

Assume an element resistance of 11 ohms when hot. P = V^2 /R

At 250 volts we get P = 62500/11 = 5682 watts

At 230 volts we get P = 52900/11 = 4809 watts

This corresponds to 15% error in estimated airflow, and doesn't even take into account differences in motor wattage. The latter can also vary considerably from one unit to the next, even with the same motor installed, due to differences in duct static and speed tap selection.

Measurement error already provides about a 10% uncertainty in the estimated cfm, so you'll want to be as precise as possible with the btu calculation before using the temp rise method.
    Thanks for the electric heat breakdown hvacrmedic.

I believe this clarifies one thing I was wondering about, we should be reading amps on the feed and not at the element because we aren't taking into account blower amps and boards.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Thanks for the electric heat breakdown hvacrmedic.

I believe this clarifies one thing I was wondering about, we should be reading amps on the feed and not at the element because we aren't taking into account blower amps and boards.
    Right. If you can't get your uncertainty in cfm measurment down to around 10%, then you stand a chance of adjusting airflow in the wrong direction, doing more harm than good. Blower heat can produce up to 10% of the total wattage with two 5kw strips engaged, or up to 17% with one 5kw strip engaged.

Post Likes
    Another thing to keep in mind is in the cooling mode the coil will be wet and you wont move as much air due to its higher pressure drop.

Measuring airflow in the field will always be a guestimate in most cases. So, do the best you can, but dont get tunnel vision using the airflow you guestimated.

Post Likes
    Good point bigtime. My air handler delivers 1202 cfm (checked at supply registers with Flow hood) with dry coil, 672 cfm with wet coil. Manufacture's air flow data is for dry coil condiitons and without filter on my York equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chill67 View Post
    Good point bigtime. My air handler delivers 1202 cfm (checked at supply registers with Flow hood) with dry coil, 672 cfm with wet coil. Manufacture's air flow data is for dry coil condiitons and without filter on my York equipment.
    1200 down to less than 700 just from the coil being wet? Was the blower set at the same speed for both tests?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    1200 down to less than 700 just from the coil being wet? Was the blower set at the same speed for both tests?
    Almost couldn't be.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Almost couldn't be.
    Or the coil is wearing a lint blanket.

Post Likes
    That is a pretty serious reduction in airflow, might want to do a pressure drop on that coil and a TESP on the system. Never hurts to confirm the fan speed setup first.

Post Likes
    Same fan speed and entire system is only a year old, no lint blanket on coil. I was shocked as to my findings as well. Wonder why there are no numbers calculated for air flow with wet coil??????

Post Likes
    What blower/furnace is it, and what model coil.

Post Likes
    Same fan speed and entire system is only a year old, no lint blanket on coil. I was shocked as to my findings as well. Wonder why there are no numbers calculated for air flow with wet coil??????
    The coil has a pressure drop rating for dry/wet and the sytem has a max TESP, if both of those are within spec it should have the proper cfm.

Post Likes
    York air handler md.# AHE30B3XH21A with X13 motor. At the time I ran my test air conditioner was not running and had not been running for days prior. Since I was not familar with the X13 motor I pulled outdoor disconnect at heat pump & made a call for cooling, obtained total cfm on all supplies. A week later I conducted same test after AC had been running for a couple days, hence the lower total cfm.

Post Likes
    An AHE30B can't move 1200 CFM at a .1" ESP. I think your CFM check dry coil was way off.

Post Likes
    Is your coil oversized to the blower?

Post Likes
    Perhaps you are getting very low temps through the coil causing the air to be way off of .0075.. (I am being a smart ass here). All seriousness with all joking aside are there dip switches on the board, to select cubic feet per minute in cooling mode verses heat, like carrier infinity logic?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Switch it over to heat and use

Btuh/ delta t x 1.08
    Just for clarification, when using this formula, make sure you use BTUH output, not input.
    Wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.

In your darkest hour, when the demons come, call on me brother and we shall fight them together.

A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in