Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 28

Thread: Proper cfm

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252

    Proper cfm

    How do you verify proper blower speed/cfm in cooling mode? The only way I know to do is static pressure/ manufacturer chart or a anemometer. Is there any other way if the chart isn't available or you don't have a anemometer?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    2,865
    Switch it over to heat and use

    Btuh/ delta t x 1.08

    If you know what kind of motor the unit is using then you can confirm if it's within "range" by using the static pressure. Residential psc motors max out at .5"w.c. and most ECM motors go up to .8"w.c.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,799
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Switch it over to heat and use

    Btuh/ delta t x 1.08
    Just for clarification, when using this formula, make sure you use BTUH output, not input.
    A Veteran is a person, who at some point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for payment up to and including their life.
    Gene Castagnetti-Director of the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Hawaii

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey before and after Texas
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Just for clarification, when using this formula, make sure you use BTUH output, not input.
    Then you need to clock the meter, if its a n.g system, to first verify actual input, so your output off of an efficiency value is projected by the afue unless an anylyzer is used.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    New Jersey before and after Texas
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by doc havoc View Post
    Just for clarification, when using this formula, make sure you use BTUH output, not input.
    Heat pumps are also simple e.e.r. Calc. And a temp rise for c.f.m. is generally with in ten percent from my experience. I have been seeing three and a half ton systems delivering nine hundred c.f.m....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph'bidness View Post
    Heat pumps are also simple e.e.r. Calc. And a temp rise for c.f.m. is generally with in ten percent from my experience. I have been seeing three and a half ton systems delivering nine hundred c.f.m....
    3.5 ton with 900CFM isn't uncommon. Oddly a 2 or 2.5 ton system can be hooked to the same ductwork and cool the house just as well with a much lower energy bill.. The larger systems tend to fall short on airflow. Peopel are quick to oversize the units, but not install the appropriate ductwork. When you think about the initial install which is charged to the builder by the ton it makes sense.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Switch it over to heat and use

    Btuh/ delta t x 1.08

    If you know what kind of motor the unit is using then you can confirm if it's within "range" by using the static pressure. Residential psc motors max out at .5"w.c. and most ECM motors go up to .8"w.c.
    when does detaT calculate in initial starting or after stabilizing?can use this formula in 3phase and single phase fan?

    moideen-dubai

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Moore, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    4,145
    If it's electric heat be sure all elements are operating before doing the BTU/DeltaT test. I've seen a lot of electric heaters with an element or two not working.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,354
    For electric heat btu/hr = amps x volts x 3.41, so

    cfm = amps x volts x 3.41/(1.08 x deltaT)

    The wattage can vary considerably from one unit to the next, even when the same size heater package is installed in both. All loads, including the heating elements, the blower motor, relays, circuit board, electric air cleaners, etc.,., must be accounted for, since all of that electricity is turned into heat. Due to differences in supply voltage it's best to actually measure the voltage and amp draw to calculate the wattage rather than entering the heater kit rated watts.

    A 5 kw strip at 250 volts will draw considerrably more wattage than the same strip at 230 volts.

    Assume an element resistance of 11 ohms when hot. P = V^2 /R

    At 250 volts we get P = 62500/11 = 5682 watts

    At 230 volts we get P = 52900/11 = 4809 watts

    This corresponds to 15% error in estimated airflow, and doesn't even take into account differences in motor wattage. The latter can also vary considerably from one unit to the next, even with the same motor installed, due to differences in duct static and speed tap selection.

    Measurement error already provides about a 10% uncertainty in the estimated cfm, so you'll want to be as precise as possible with the btu calculation before using the temp rise method.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 02-09-2013 at 09:26 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    2,865
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    For electric heat btu/hr = amps x volts x 3.41, so

    cfm = amps x volts x 3.41/(1.08 x deltaT)

    The wattage can vary considerably from one unit to the next, even when the same size heater package is installed in both. All loads, including the heating elements, the blower motor, relays, circuit board, electric air cleaners, etc.,., must be accounted for, since all of that electricity is turned into heat. Due to differences in supply voltage it's best to actually measure the voltage and amp draw to calculate the wattage rather than entering the heater kit rated watts.

    A 5 kw strip at 250 volts will draw considerrably more wattage than the same strip at 230 volts.

    Assume an element resistance of 11 ohms when hot. P = V^2 /R

    At 250 volts we get P = 62500/11 = 5682 watts

    At 230 volts we get P = 52900/11 = 4809 watts

    This corresponds to 15% error in estimated airflow, and doesn't even take into account differences in motor wattage. The latter can also vary considerably from one unit to the next, even with the same motor installed, due to differences in duct static and speed tap selection.

    Measurement error already provides about a 10% uncertainty in the estimated cfm, so you'll want to be as precise as possible with the btu calculation before using the temp rise method.
    Thanks for the electric heat breakdown hvacrmedic.

    I believe this clarifies one thing I was wondering about, we should be reading amps on the feed and not at the element because we aren't taking into account blower amps and boards.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,354
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Thanks for the electric heat breakdown hvacrmedic.

    I believe this clarifies one thing I was wondering about, we should be reading amps on the feed and not at the element because we aren't taking into account blower amps and boards.
    Right. If you can't get your uncertainty in cfm measurment down to around 10%, then you stand a chance of adjusting airflow in the wrong direction, doing more harm than good. Blower heat can produce up to 10% of the total wattage with two 5kw strips engaged, or up to 17% with one 5kw strip engaged.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,361
    Another thing to keep in mind is in the cooling mode the coil will be wet and you wont move as much air due to its higher pressure drop.

    Measuring airflow in the field will always be a guestimate in most cases. So, do the best you can, but dont get tunnel vision using the airflow you guestimated.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    kentucky
    Posts
    186
    Good point bigtime. My air handler delivers 1202 cfm (checked at supply registers with Flow hood) with dry coil, 672 cfm with wet coil. Manufacture's air flow data is for dry coil condiitons and without filter on my York equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event