washer on solenoid coil??????

seem a rash of intermittent liquid line solenoid valves not closing in my area at a certain chain. I got a call on one the other day too cold, alarming too low temp. Several techs been on. I am married to it now. I can easily graph suction pressure of this simple pump down system, and it's crystal clear that the solenoid is being commanded off and de energized, and suction not falling. But it's intermittent. Maybe 1X in every 20 cycles.

I rebuilt the valve with the KS Kit. The solenoid is controlled via ems, so I also moved the output to a different board point, to rule out a sticking relay maybe. When I took it apart, as the other techs also did, system clean, no deformity of the nylon seat, porting clean as a whistle. I doubt the valve body is deformed or I would suspect I would have much more "often" issues. I have seen deformed valve bodies and it just occurs to me this would happen more often. Tonnage size is correct.

I was researching google, and there was a discussion on here about the fact that sporlan has a flaw in the coil, where one needs to use a washer at the stem underneath the coil to break the residual magnetic field. I have seen this thing myself, had a washer in my van with the little official literature attached to it, but have since lost it. Does anyone here have that tech lit to send me. I just want to know the specifics, and if this may be the cause of my problem and the trends I have seen.

Don't have the lit but I'm sure it's on sporlan's site. I had this issue a year or so back on a rack start up for a national chain. The washer needs to be brass, nonferrous, to break the field. I ran to lows and grabbed a hand full and put them in. Problem gone.

Here's something about the topic, likely from your chain of stores.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    Here's something about the topic, likely from your chain of stores.
    Yep. That's it. I was starting a Zero Zone on a remodel.

I used to have the Sporlan bulletin, I cant find it anymore.

Matt,

I spoke with local sporlan rep and factory rep in MO first thing yesterday morning. They swear the E6 valves did not have the issue. So. I put a new drier in, and changed the valve. I buzzed the controller this morning and all is good. We'll see. Darn thing. I hate calls like this that I know I know I am right, but I was still wrong. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    Matt,

I spoke with local sporlan rep and factory rep in MO first thing yesterday morning. They swear the E6 valves did not have the issue. So. I put a new drier in, and changed the valve. I buzzed the controller this morning and all is good. We'll see. Darn thing. I hate calls like this that I know I know I am right, but I was still wrong. LOL.
    No no no. It's you may not alway be rite but your never wrong. Service tech creed.

We recently had several valves act up with the washers installed. Cut the suckers out and replaced with the new 'HP' series of Sporlan valve. As far as I know they have been good, but it seems Sporlan quality is sliding as every year goes by.

We too had had a large wic freezing once in a while after install. About once ever two weeks. Took me about 3 trips before I called our supply house and they said I must have not done a "clean" install if the solenoid was sticking. I than called sporlan and they admitted the problem w/ the MK-2 valve. Called the supplier and ordered the washer sporlan told me about. This was 2 years ago and it has worked great ever since.

I had a few where the washer worked............total BS of sporlan to produce junk
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

They have been Parkerized.....

This happened to one of our techs yesterday and they told him over the phone the valves stamped with the letter C need the washer to close properly.