Turn off two-stage operation of ClimateMaster that can't keep up on low stage?

Hi, I've got a ClimateMaster Tranquility 30 Model TEV038AGD02CLTS. It's connected to a ClimateMaster branded thermostat (ATC32U01) that's set up to run in two stages: stage two when we're 2 degrees (or more, I'm not sure) from our desired temp and then stage one when we're within 1 degree (again, I'm not 100% sure about the offsets here). My house is losing a lot of heat through the attic and original 1930s windows which we plan on getting fixed in the next few months but the problem is that right now, the system is running constantly. It'll bump up to stage two and then when it gets close to our desired temp, it will ramp down to stage one and then bump back up to stage two when it gets far enough away again. The problem seems to be that we're losing so much heat while stage one is running that it can't keep up and has to eventually switch back to stage two. I am wondering what the best course of action would be to make sure the unit isn't running all of the time and my assumption would be to turn off stage one all together. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do here (at least until our new windows and insulation are installed)?

I'm happy to record and paste all of the settings if someone could post how to get to them.

Thanks!
    Chris

Sounds rather typical of 2 stage equipment. Lotta weather where low won't totally cut it and has to ask for some help from high. Some geo stats can be told that once they go to high, they stay there til satisfied. Not sure if yours can or not. But I wouldn't. You are more comfy and efficient with the constant run than stopping & starting.

Its a heatpump let it run. when it is as cold as it has been it should run almost constantly in 1st stage and then go to second stage and back to 1st.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Hmm. Ok. I was worried about burning out the motor if it was on for, say, 20 hours a day. I guess you are both saying that's not something to worry about? If so, I'll leave it alone.

Highway miles are better than city miles.
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Normal for 2 stage units to run almost endless when its near design temp outside.

You could ask your contractor to install a Honeywell IAQ thermostat. It won't let the temp drop before bringing on second stage. And you will feel much more comfortable.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

+1 If sized correctly, I would expect a heat pump to run for days on end in colder weather. Much less wear and tear that starting and stopping.

Many heat pumps are actually slightly more effcient in high stage anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    Hi, I've got a ClimateMaster Tranquility 30 Model TEV038AGD02CLTS. It's connected to a ClimateMaster branded thermostat (ATC32U01) that's set up to run in two stages: stage two when we're 2 degrees (or more, I'm not sure) from our desired temp and then stage one when we're within 1 degree (again, I'm not 100% sure about the offsets here). My house is losing a lot of heat through the attic and original 1930s windows which we plan on getting fixed in the next few months but the problem is that right now, the system is running constantly. It'll bump up to stage two and then when it gets close to our desired temp, it will ramp down to stage one and then bump back up to stage two when it gets far enough away again. The problem seems to be that we're losing so much heat while stage one is running that it can't keep up and has to eventually switch back to stage two. I am wondering what the best course of action would be to make sure the unit isn't running all of the time and my assumption would be to turn off stage one all together. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do here (at least until our new windows and insulation are installed)?

I'm happy to record and paste all of the settings if someone could post how to get to them.

Thanks!
    Chris
    ^^ this is how it was designed to work, long run times and more even temps throuought the house IS THE advantage of multistage equipment.

I agree with all the pros that have posted. The system is doing what it is suppose to. 2 stage equipment is designed to switch from 1st to 2nd stage as needed to keep you comfortable. If you were to set it for 2nd stage only you would not benfit from having a 2 stage heat pump.

beshvac point is correct when compaired to highway miles vs city miles. The system is designed to run this way so let it.