Thread: will a carrier fe4 air handler work with a bryant heat pump?

Post Likes

will a carrier fe4 air handler work with a bryant heat pump?

I have purchased a Bryant 286b 3 ton heat pump from a scratch and dent guy for $.
    I am trying to find a air handler that will work with this. He also has a carrier fe4anb006 air handler,
    work that work? If not please let me know what i should be looking for, thanks.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-08-2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    This is an AHRI match, #5476675. Excellent performance/efficiency numbers.

The CFM setting would need to be adjusted for a 3 ton.

Of course you will need an Evolution or Infinity controller and they can be pricey.

Any factory warranty?

IMO

Post Likes
    YOu can also match it with a FV4 Performance series air handler... but you'll lose the Eveolution/Infinity funcitonality.

Best option is a new FE4 with controller as mentioned. You probably won't get a warranty on the condenser and evap coil in the air handler might be questionable too.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. I paid $ for the heat pump and I think he will want around $ for the air handler. I do not think I will have any warranty though, it was still in box though. So the air handler will not have the controller with it? Where does this controller go? How much does it cost? Do I have to have it with this set up?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-08-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Prices

Post Likes
    Controller takes the place of the thermostat. No, its purchased seprerately. They arent cheap. More than a Nest thermostat...but much more capable.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Thanks for your guys help. I got the fe4anb006 air handler. I have a couple more questions. He also has a carrier fe4anf002000. Which would be a better fit for my 3 ton Bryant 286b?
    I have heard that a lot of people will get a 3.5 to 4 ton air handler with 3 ton heat pump, seeing the one that I got adjust from 3 to 5 what should I set it at? And as far as heat strips go do I need to get carrier heat strips or can I get any brand? Again thanks for all you help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by slad35 View Post
    Thanks for your guys help. I got the fe4anb006 air handler. I have a couple more questions. He also has a carrier fe4anf002000. Which would be a better fit for my 3 ton Bryant 286b?
    I have heard that a lot of people will get a 3.5 to 4 ton air handler with 3 ton heat pump, seeing the one that I got adjust from 3 to 5 what should I set it at? And as far as heat strips go do I need to get carrier heat strips or can I get any brand? Again thanks for all you help.
    What are the load requirements? Is a 3 ton really what you need? How much room ya got to install it? and the list goes on and on..........
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    Stick with the 006 air handler model for the best performance/efficiency numbers.

However if there is a significant cost difference, The 002, 003, and 005 are all AHRI HP directory matches and certainly would be satisfactory.

Do you mind sharing location?

What size heat strip is being suggested? Depending on location, should be no higher than 10 KW.

You definitely want the Evolution controller.

IMO

Post Likes
    So this is a DIY install, that you asking for help on.

Post Likes
    I live in Kansas. I have had 2 two contractors out to look one said 3 ton outdoor unit with 4 ton air handler, the other said 3.5 ton heat pump with air handler 3.5 ton. I think they both suggested 20 kw heat strip. The second guy that came out to look is going to make the duct and sell me the flex duct that I need and run line set and hook up system, I am going to install ductwork.

Post Likes
    I live in Kansas. I have had 2 two contractors out to look one said 3 ton outdoor unit with 4 ton air handler, the other said 3.5 ton heat pump with air handler 3.5 ton. I think they both suggested 20 kw heat strip. The second guy that came out to look is going to make the duct and sell me the flex duct that I need and run line set and hook up system, I am going to install ductwork.
    did you get estimets so you knew what material you would need?

Post Likes
    Its a DIY install.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Its a DIY install.
    i know, i just wanted to see if just used the bid for sizing. it has happened to me before and makes me angry.

Post Likes
    I was hopeful when I had the first contractor out that his estimate would be cheap enough that I could hire him to do the whole thing, maybe buy the equipment myself but him do all the work. When I got his bid I realized that was not going to happen. However I realized that doing as much as I could myself I was going to need some guidance (how many ducts where what size ect.) So I called another contractor and just ask him if he would be willing to "design" the system for me and hook it up. He agreed to do that but said that he like a shot at selling me the duct work also. So like I said earlier I am going to buy the duct work from him and he is going to hook up the system. I bought the system and will install the duct work.

Post Likes
    I was hopeful when I had the first contractor out that his estimate would be cheap enough that I could hire him to do the whole thing, maybe buy the equipment myself but him do all the work. When I got his bid I realized that was not going to happen. However I realized that doing as much as I could myself I was going to need some guidance (how many ducts where what size ect.) So I called another contractor and just ask him if he would be willing to "design" the system for me and hook it up. He agreed to do that but said that he like a shot at selling me the duct work also. So like I said earlier I am going to buy the duct work from him and he is going to hook up the system. I bought the system and will install the duct work.

If your "designer" walks thru your house and says you need 2 outlets in this room, 1 in here, 3 in here.......and if you ask him how he sizes the ducts and he says "I use .1 static".....you are doomed. Especially since the system you bought is particularly fussy about the duct it is hooked up to.

Post Likes
    that contractor is in for a rude awakining. this usualy does not work out. it looks good on paper. how is he going to design it? is he doing a heatload or can he get it right without one? is he that desperate for work?

Post Likes
    He is a very reputable contractor in our area. He sells arcoaire. Why would duct work be different for a certain system if tonnage is the same? What do you mean that system is particularly fussy about duct work it is hooked up to? What should I do?

Post Likes
    He is a very reputable contractor in our area. He sells arcoaire. Why would duct work be different for a certain system if tonnage is the same? What do you mean that system is particularly fussy about duct work it is hooked up to? What should I do?
    1. So this contractor has never installed an evolution system? Bryant won't even sell them to their dealers without taking a class and passing a test.
    2. I hope the equipment does have a warranty....the parts on that stuff is rather expensive.
    3. It is very nice equipment and has many design features to protect itself....One of them is called high static shutdown...if the duct is too restrictive....it shuts down or if you are lucky stages down and you will have a 3 ton that only runs at 2 tons.
    4. There is a proper way as stated before....Manual J load calculation, Manual D duct design, Manual T Air distribution to select the correct registers for spread/throw. Manual S for Equipment size selection to pick the correctly sized unit from manual J....However you kind of threw that out the window since you already bought the equipment

Post Likes
    Do you think I should have a Bryant dealer hook up the system? What about designing
    the duct work?

Post Likes
    Do you think I should have a Bryant dealer hook up the system? What about designing
    the duct work?
    you will want a good duct design done to insure the complete system works to it's full potential. after all, you are spending a good chunk for the system why not just spend a little more and make sure it is right. you will be much hapier if you do. and it will run at it highest efficiancy. i recommend a qualified bryant dealer. they make you take a test for a reason. good luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in