Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 20 of 20
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    I was hopeful when I had the first contractor out that his estimate would be cheap enough that I could hire him to do the whole thing, maybe buy the equipment myself but him do all the work. When I got his bid I realized that was not going to happen. However I realized that doing as much as I could myself I was going to need some guidance (how many ducts where what size ect.) So I called another contractor and just ask him if he would be willing to "design" the system for me and hook it up. He agreed to do that but said that he like a shot at selling me the duct work also. So like I said earlier I am going to buy the duct work from him and he is going to hook up the system. I bought the system and will install the duct work.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by slad35 View Post
    I was hopeful when I had the first contractor out that his estimate would be cheap enough that I could hire him to do the whole thing, maybe buy the equipment myself but him do all the work. When I got his bid I realized that was not going to happen. However I realized that doing as much as I could myself I was going to need some guidance (how many ducts where what size ect.) So I called another contractor and just ask him if he would be willing to "design" the system for me and hook it up. He agreed to do that but said that he like a shot at selling me the duct work also. So like I said earlier I am going to buy the duct work from him and he is going to hook up the system. I bought the system and will install the duct work.


    If your "designer" walks thru your house and says you need 2 outlets in this room, 1 in here, 3 in here.......and if you ask him how he sizes the ducts and he says "I use .1 static".....you are doomed. Especially since the system you bought is particularly fussy about the duct it is hooked up to.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by slad35 View Post
    I was hopeful when I had the first contractor out that his estimate would be cheap enough that I could hire him to do the whole thing, maybe buy the equipment myself but him do all the work. When I got his bid I realized that was not going to happen. However I realized that doing as much as I could myself I was going to need some guidance (how many ducts where what size ect.) So I called another contractor and just ask him if he would be willing to "design" the system for me and hook it up. He agreed to do that but said that he like a shot at selling me the duct work also. So like I said earlier I am going to buy the duct work from him and he is going to hook up the system. I bought the system and will install the duct work.
    that contractor is in for a rude awakining. this usualy does not work out. it looks good on paper. how is he going to design it? is he doing a heatload or can he get it right without one? is he that desperate for work?

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    He is a very reputable contractor in our area. He sells arcoaire. Why would duct work be different for a certain system if tonnage is the same? What do you mean that system is particularly fussy about duct work it is hooked up to? What should I do?

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by slad35 View Post
    He is a very reputable contractor in our area. He sells arcoaire. Why would duct work be different for a certain system if tonnage is the same? What do you mean that system is particularly fussy about duct work it is hooked up to? What should I do?
    1. So this contractor has never installed an evolution system? Bryant won't even sell them to their dealers without taking a class and passing a test.
    2. I hope the equipment does have a warranty....the parts on that stuff is rather expensive.
    3. It is very nice equipment and has many design features to protect itself....One of them is called high static shutdown...if the duct is too restrictive....it shuts down or if you are lucky stages down and you will have a 3 ton that only runs at 2 tons.
    4. There is a proper way as stated before....Manual J load calculation, Manual D duct design, Manual T Air distribution to select the correct registers for spread/throw. Manual S for Equipment size selection to pick the correctly sized unit from manual J....However you kind of threw that out the window since you already bought the equipment

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    Do you think I should have a Bryant dealer hook up the system? What about designing
    the duct work?

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by slad35 View Post
    Do you think I should have a Bryant dealer hook up the system? What about designing
    the duct work?
    you will want a good duct design done to insure the complete system works to it's full potential. after all, you are spending a good chunk for the system why not just spend a little more and make sure it is right. you will be much hapier if you do. and it will run at it highest efficiancy. i recommend a qualified bryant dealer. they make you take a test for a reason. good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event