Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    The counterflow furnace you have explains the 20"x20" filter a little better. Now I'm more concerned about the return air grille(s). I see a lot of home that are short on return with upflow furnaces and with counterflow furnaces almost always being short.

Can you tell us how your return air is set up?
    George2, that would be a single large return. This single level 2500sqft house was built in 94. The current system (N.Gas Coleman Evcon) works great for airflow. No hotspots or cold areas. Same with AC/Heat via a Heat Pump. This is a dual fuel system.

House is super insulated I feel. For example, the current heater quit working one night around 10 PM. It was 69F inside and 40 outside. By morning the inside temp was 62F and outside was 37F. Our climate is mild, we only have about 1 month of temps below 30F and 2 months of temps above 85F. That's why we get away with it...probably.

For today's standards and State/Federal requirements, you are correct.............I would surely need returns for each room.

Quote Originally Posted by mixer440 View Post
    Perfectly said duckman06, and don't get me wrong that's why I'm asking.
    The furnace is an XV 95 with an XLi 15 dual fuel

The HVAC company installing the system has custom built air media cabinets with gaskets and will intergrste into most return configurations. Mine is a downflow, retrofit, and with tight space. The existing metal was 20x20, but only 1 inch.......so there are some limitations as to what might work. So, custom seems better.

I will carefully consider your recommendations on filter efficiency.

George2.......actually 20x20 is by far the most common sold size in my area.

Everyone......What was confusing was that a 4 inch filter isn't really 4 inch and the Honeywell ones are over 4
    What size system are they planing to install? This will play a big role in what size return is needed. 20x20
    Is good for 800 cubic inchs of return or a (2) ton system. 20x20 =400x2=
    800 cfm of return. One thing to check with your installer about is the size of the return.

As variable speed furnaces don't like to be undersized! The system will want to ramp up to make up the Diffrance. Oh course changes can be made to setings on the unit to move less air flow but all this needs to do be discussed before the install takes place!

If practical, you would get much better comfort and improved airflow by adding at least two additional returns.

Still believe the Trane Perfect Fit Filter Cabinet is the best choice for your 60 KBTU XV95. That would be Mdl #TFM175BOFRO. Link below. Look under specifications for physical size.

IMO

http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...t-air-cleaners

If practical, you would get much better comfort and improved airflow by adding at least two additional returns.
    Probably right, although the old system worked just fine for 29 years-no hot or cold spots with excellent air draw. In any case, if this new system has issues, that will be the installer/dealers problem.

Still believe the Trane Perfect Fit Filter Cabinet is the best choice for your 60 KBTU XV95.
    You crack me up tigerdunes. A person would think you get 1/2 the profit on these ?! Just kidding. Joking aside, at least you know the products. For now, I'm sticking with the custom cabinet and see what it looks like and if it's functional.

To everyone, you've all been a lot of help.......good ideas and comments.

Mixer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12