+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Honeywell Vision Pro 8000

Post Likes

Honeywell Vision Pro 8000

I was just wondering if there is anyway on the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 t-stat to set it up so that the electric doesn't come on so quick? I know on the Honeywell Prestige 2.0 you can set the differential on the electric heat. I have been setting them up with a outdoor sensor to set the LTCO and the BP.

Thanks

Post Likes
    I called honeywell last week and ask the same question. In short the answer is no. The t'stat adapts to differing conditions such as run time, cycles, and tempatures. The same thermostat hooked to the same type of system in differant houses will turn on aux. heat at differant times. Changing the cycle rates in the installer set up will change when the aux. heat comes on, but there is no setting of time or tempature. Hope this helps.

Post Likes
    Not sure what you are trying to accomplish that setting the LTCO and the BP doesn't already do. If you are close to BP are you wanting there to be a delay for the heat strips coming on?

Post Likes
    You could try turning off that "adaptive intelligent recovery" setting.
    That may standardize the run times for each operation mode.

Perhaps you could add a delay-on-make relay that is triggered by a call for heat, but controls the aux. heat circuit.
    You'd lose some measure of control, especially in really cold conditions though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    You could try turning off that "adaptive intelligent recovery" setting.
    That may standardize the run times for each operation mode.
    Really only does anything when using set back. Once out of recovery, it doesn't do anything. Disabling it, just means it starts to recover at the set time, but still uses the aux, probably a bit more.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply's. What i'm looking to do is just not have the AUX kick on so quick. We install York heat pumps and York has come out with there own stat. On that stat I can set the differential between 1st stage 2nd stage and 3rd stage. I just feel like it helps out with the customers power bills thats all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeblo View Post
    I called honeywell last week and ask the same question. In short the answer is no. The t'stat adapts to differing conditions such as run time, cycles, and tempatures. The same thermostat hooked to the same type of system in differant houses will turn on aux. heat at differant times. Changing the cycle rates in the installer set up will change when the aux. heat comes on, but there is no setting of time or tempature. Hope this helps.
    When changing the cycles rates which way were they recommending that you could trying? Its comes with a recommend 3 cycles per hour? Changing it down? Or changing it up?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Setting the auX CPH lower will increase its off time, and on time. Setting the heat pumps CPH higher will decrease how often teh aux comes on.

Post Likes
    The inability to adjust the temperature variance on the auxiliary heat is one reason why I no longer install Honeywell thermostats.

I called them too,close to a year ago, with this issue and was told we are sorry for the inconvenience...

Well, the inconvenience is two fold:

One: You install a new high efficiency system for a customer,( telling them it will save them energy usage) ,only to get a call back 2 months later with the customer saying that their bill is higher than normal during winter.

Two: Once at the residence I find a Honeywell installed, I have to tell the customer "The only way to repair this issue is to buy another new thermostat and have it installed".

This all leaves a bad taste in the customers mouth wondering,"Why didn't you install the most energy efficient thermostat with my new high efficiency unit?"

Post Likes
    Have you set a balance point to lock out aux in warmer temps? It doesn't specifically answer your question but will go a long way for energy savings. Either with an outdoor sensor on the vision pro, or on many york heat pumps with demand defrost you can run "W" thorough the defrost board and lock it out that way - there is a balance point setting on the the board.

Also, I kind of like the delay on make timer in series between the t-stat and the board on the AHU - set to 5 or 10 minutes, experiment a little. Just make sure you don't put the delay on for aux heat during defrost.

Just remember though that less energy consumption always equals less comfort. If you don't run the heaters it will take you longer to get warm. period.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Setting the auX CPH lower will increase its off time, and on time. Setting the heat pumps CPH higher will decrease how often teh aux comes on.
    I will try it out and see if how its works. Thanks for the info!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cjpwalker View Post
    Have you set a balance point to lock out aux in warmer temps? It doesn't specifically answer your question but will go a long way for energy savings. Either with an outdoor sensor on the vision pro, or on many york heat pumps with demand defrost you can run "W" thorough the defrost board and lock it out that way - there is a balance point setting on the the board.

Also, I kind of like the delay on make timer in series between the t-stat and the board on the AHU - set to 5 or 10 minutes, experiment a little. Just make sure you don't put the delay on for aux heat during defrost.

Just remember though that less energy consumption always equals less comfort. If you don't run the heaters it will take you longer to get warm. period.
    Yes I have set the balance point on this system, the lowest you can set it is 4.5C. I find it helps out but I feel like I can get a little more out of the heat pump at a little colder temps. The York heat pumps are nice being able to run "W" through the outdoor board.

I may try the delay on make timer just to see what I can get out of these systems.

Thanks for the comments.

Post Likes
    What model is the heat pump. if it has a York guard defrost board. It can be ued to hold out the aux heat.

Post Likes
    Its the LX series and its only a 3Ton so it just have the demand defrost board on it.

The affinity series are the ones with the York guard board on it and the 5Ton LX series has it also.

Post Likes
    You could "split" the W1 and W2 if your air handler has 2 W inputs. Hook W1 to thermostat W output. Connect W2 in air handler to W from defrost board. Connect 10 minute delay on make timer between W1 and W2 if both sets of heat strips are need to be energized by thermostat at design conditions. This configuration with 1/2 the wattage used by the heat strips during normal operating conditions.

Post Likes
    That is a very good idea. I will actually try that the next time we hook up a LX series York.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortService View Post
    The inability to adjust the temperature variance on the auxiliary heat is one reason why I no longer install Honeywell thermostats.

I called them too,close to a year ago, with this issue and was told we are sorry for the inconvenience...

Well, the inconvenience is two fold:

One: You install a new high efficiency system for a customer,( telling them it will save them energy usage) ,only to get a call back 2 months later with the customer saying that their bill is higher than normal during winter.

Two: Once at the residence I find a Honeywell installed, I have to tell the customer "The only way to repair this issue is to buy another new thermostat and have it installed".

This all leaves a bad taste in the customers mouth wondering,"Why didn't you install the most energy efficient thermostat with my new high efficiency unit?"
    Which tstats do you use with simular features/touchscreen that you can adjust the temp differential for aux on?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettservices View Post
    Which tstats do you use with simular features/touchscreen that you can adjust the temp differential for aux on?
    Ecobee

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in