Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 Ton Too Many... replace or ignore?

Greetings all and thanks in advance for any help.

Our house is 944 Sq Feet.

2 years ago when we thought were were going to build a second story and the rebates where good we got a new 3 ton high efficiency rheem system.

Now... we are NOT going to do the addition. But a smaller one adding just one 8 x 8 room. 64 sq feet...

Our house is old. 1937. Leaky. they told us 1 full air replacement every hour.

We have a bid to replace our 3 ton with a 2 ton for right at $

Is it worth it?

We aren't uncomfortable. It doesn't short cycle too bad that we have noticed.

Update:

We're in Austin Texas

Our Summer electrical bill is right at $150... winter $60
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-07-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Price

I have had people tell me to size equipment for a "future" addition and I wouldn't do it. The first reason is that the ductwork isn't adequate. The second reason I offer them is, "What if you never build the addition"? Sound familiar?

Your asking if should you install a 2 ton system? But you say you're not uncomfortable (hard to believe) and that it doesn't short cycle (also hard to believe). Then, why spend the money?

Maybe you'll add another addition in 10 years? Sorry, had to throw that in.

Your customer relation skills are outstanding. Thanks for your insulting criticism. Remind me never to hire you.

Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-matic View Post
    Your customer relation skills are outstanding. Thanks for your insulting criticism. Remind me never to hire you.
    You're in luck...I'm retired. I was just trying to make it light. Sorry if you're so thin skinned. No offense.

It sounds like you shouldn't have hired the guy that oversized your equipment. At least I would have done it correctly.

I know what your saying. I'm just a little soft cause we are fully aware that we goofed! Don't need to be reminded of that part!

Last edited by bass-o-matic; 02-07-2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Spelling.

I think what George2 is trying to say is in most all cases a (3) ton would be causing you problems with short cycling, increased electic usage and humdity problems. How low do you have to set your thermostat to be comfortable?

If you are comfortable with the electic bill and how it is working then why would be thinking of replacing the system? Even with rule of thumb you are still oversized with a (2) ton system. Did the contractor preform a load cal to determine the size or say you have roughly a 1000 square foot home and it needs a (2) ton.

FYI prices are not allowed here. I can say that the price does not sound unreasonable but still depending on the scope of the work I really can't say one way or another if fair. Comfort does have a value for most people so since the addition is not going to be added make sure this time it is sized properly for the home.

You just have to understand that we see this same thing daily in our line of work. Possiable future additions are just that possiable. When a customer says they are planning on added a addition. I ask how sure? If not 100% sure I suggest to size the home as is and look into other opitons when and if the addition is added. If the customer insists on sizing for the addition I either walk away from the Job or make a note on my estimate that states that going with size that is needed to take are of future addition will be oversized until the addition is added and my company want be at fault if the system does not work properly. The other issue with future addition is this how big will it be, what will the windows, doors and insualtion be etc... To many variables for anyone to size properly without the addition or plans stating all of this!

Thanks. I guess I'm just wondering if a 1.5 ton or... whatever would be appropriate, would use half the electricity etc? Or how much less on average? then I could calculate if we would save anything or even come close.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-07-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

squirrelshot, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Last edited by beenthere; 02-07-2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Don't just throw tonnage at your house. The cheapest would be a properly sized system for your house and ductwork.

After you get the right system installed sell the used condenser and coil for more $.

Hire someone who knows AC. If you don't you will be back where you are.

I know what your saying. I'm just a little soft cause we are fully aware that we goofed! Don't need to be reminded of that part!

I truly understand. I apologize. Did not mean to upset you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast