Post Likes

Communication monitoring?

Forgive me for being somewhat illiterate here.

We have a BMS using Niagara AX with Distech DDCs and Several different BacNet JACE's scattered site wide. Another department currently oversees all of this.

We are tasked with monitoring utility usage. HVAC and Lighting are both controled by the BMS and they are 50% of our budget. We use Periscope Dashboard to monitor building electricity meters but would like to be able to trend BMS points to try and pinpoint when we see spikes in usage. The Periscope can pull data from any trend that is on this "main" computer.

Here lies the issue. Im told that trends/histories have to reside on the building JACE. Then a "main" computer goes to the site wide building JACEs and downloads 2 days worth of histories and places them on the "main" computer, this is where our Periscope meter veiwing software pulls its data(I believe this "main" computer is a Soft JACE?). Were told that if we want to add histories, we have to edit the local JACE(which they dont want us messing with and they claim there is not enough system or network resources).

Are there any other options? Could it be possible to "monitor" the communications and have a repeater or something send this data on a seperate network that we would be able to manipulate however we wanted?

Im sure you guys are cringing at my terminology but we seem to be getting fed what others want us to hear. Any help or links to tutorial/educational stuff would be helpful.

Of course im happy to clarify where im able.

Post Likes
    The Supervisor should be subscribed to the JACE's to get the history data. If it were me I would evaluate what is being trended and modify (reduce trends or adjust periods or archiving time) so that I could trend the stuff that costs the most energy and I could have an opportunity to have the most impact on to reduce energy.

3. Likes aguywithfeet liked this post.
    Post Likes
    As of now the only thing trended is building meters and were being told their running out. We are not a priority right now, we are trying to show our value, for that we need data. I've heard they went with controllers with the lowest level ram available. The average jace here has 11 ahu, a few fcu and one or two other controllers on it. If that helps.

Post Likes
    Just setup histories to collect more often in JACE limit to 2 samples or so in JACE and then let them roll them to super, that way the JACES don't use resources, and the super has a constant stream of fresh data. You both win.

6. Likes aguywithfeet liked this post.
    Post Likes
    so instead of storing 2 days store an hour or so right? Would that increase the network traffic much?

Is it correct to say the jace writes the history data into the main computer(station?) Or that the main computer requests the data and the stores it? Or is it tomato tomato

Post Likes
    2 samples at what ever speed its set to sample. I'm talking minutes, not hours or days. yes it would increase traffic a bit, its tiny amounts of data x's number of histories..if anything it keeps niagara points fresher as a side effect.

Post Likes
    This smells like crap to me.

Histories don't take up much space unless your looking to store logs that go back months or years. If they cannot fit a handful more with 500 or 1000 points each, that jace is already likely having issues with resources and someone went with the cheapest and dirtiest setup they could.

Translating

We can't fit not a single history -> we simply don't want to be bothered by you.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

10. Likes aguywithfeet liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm with you Orion, we have to play the game for now.

On that note, I read that ten years of history is standard in the industry?