Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Liebert Integration to Jace

I have an existing site with a LON network on a Jace. A new tenant will be installing 2 MMD Mini-Mates and A DS Unit.
    What is the best 'proven' method to monitor these units? I have looked at SiteLink and the Intelli-Slot 485 cards on a MODBUS trunk and I am wondering if and why one way is more desireable than the other.
    I also see that there is a LONLiebert module for the Jace for whatever that is worth.
    If you've had experience with a similar integration I would like to hear about your experience and any tips that you might have.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

I've done it with the Intelli-Slot 485 cards.
    Worked fine for monitor-only points using the ModbusAsyncNetwork driver and the JACE's RS-485 on COM2. Had to obtain the modbus registers list from Liebert Tech support.

After that, all that was needed was an initial hyperterminal session to setup modbus comm paramenter and ID. Lookup Intellislot 485 Quick Start.pdf

Maxburn should know more about the other options.

On the device side the mini mates and DS unit should all have modbus and bacnet option cards you can get now. This can be via serial or IP but there might be some option card availability issues though I think all that is cleared up by now. The unit option cards are fairly simple and don't require a startup, just installation and some menu settings via hyperterminal. This may also be the most cost effective route for just three units. Manuals for the cards with info about how to connect and points list are on emersonnetworkpower.com.

Next level is to add a SiteLink for protocol conversion of up to 12 devices, it can put out bacnet MSTP* or IP, modbus serial only**, or Lonworks. Lonworks integration is via the ALC approved method involving the SLTA-10 and we can produce a .xif file that can be imported. The SiteLink requires one of our techs to program it so a startup visit is required. When done we can demonstrate the data coming out using tools like nodeutil, modscan or bacnet quick test. When done we can generate a custom points list report and we also have generic documentation that the installing tech can supply.

*bacnet MSTP on a SiteLink will not mix with velocity, the module is not capable of doing both at the same time. If this has to be done and in the case of the DS unit the data set would look more like the advanced microprocessor air unit rather than the iCOM microprocessor air unit. OR if there was two SiteLink modules and all the velocity equipment was on one and the MSTP trunk was hanging off the other module and the two were connected via arcnet that will work fine but requires two modules minimum.

**On the IP portion the modbus only acts as a master as an ALC limitation so the SiteLink can't act as a modbus slave over IP.
    Scott Jalbert
    Harris Integrated Solutions

Formerly Liebert (Emerson Network Power)
    Expressed opinions are my own

I've had success also with the Intellislot 485 cards. They are easy to configure with hyper term 9600, 8,n,1. The data tables do vary a bit between the different cards so you need the correct table. I used with Modbus RTU.

I found the documents on Emerson's site for the tables.

The cards I had experience with were fixed at 9600 on the Modbus link so if you are mixing vendor stuff keep that in mind for all the other devices.

Thanks guys, it sounds like the IntelliSlot 485 cards is the way to go. I looked this morning but was unable to find the register tables online.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

You have mail.

Scott Jalbert

I have used a sitelink to tie 3 liebert units to a Jace before and everything worked fine for about a month and then I lost all data (I did not lose communications to the sitelink just data) so I cycled power to the sitelink and all was good for about another month and I lost all data again.... I guess I am going to call liebert and see what they tell me..

Im like a mushroom, they keep me in the dark and feed me crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumpkin View Post
    I have used a sitelink to tie 3 liebert units to a Jace before and everything worked fine for about a month and then I lost all data (I did not lose communications to the sitelink just data) so I cycled power to the sitelink and all was good for about another month and I lost all data again.... I guess I am going to call liebert and see what they tell me..
    Have them check the modstat log in the module and see if it's been losing power. Also mention locking the ports.
    Scott Jalbert

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumpkin View Post
    Dont know if it is related, but there was a problem related to the internal clocks a few months back. It caused all values to go to max(65535) for a few seconds. It only happened every 27.5 days.

Intellislot cards are almost always a better choice. The sitelinks greatly limit the point count each device can have. Also, both the sitelink and the slot cards are just glorified field servers, both introduce additional latency into the system. The intellislot card only has to gather data from 1 device, the sitelink has to get it from up to 12 and it doesn't multithread even though the devices are on 12 separate ports.

Finally, it is simple to set up a intellislot card by yourself, the only problems you could run into would be due to the wrong factory firmware or velocity version. If you go with a sitelink, you are required to have a startup guy come out.

Quote Originally Posted by StDavis68 View Post
    , the sitelink has to get it from up to 12 and it doesn't multithread even though the devices are on 12 separate ports.
    The site link polls for ports simultaneously, but your basic statement is still correct that it is still another link in the chain.
    Scott Jalbert

The RS-485 intellislot has worked well for us, short of the High Head Pressure Circuit 2 false alarm, but if you setup a delay on that register for 120 seconds and it'll eliminate the false alarm.
    It seems to read tripped for just over 90 seconds at times and then clears. At least that was the last value I had that alarmed until I changed it to 120. It would alarm out about 1 every 3 months, but haven't gotten a false alarm since changing the delay.
    *Also credit to Liebert, their Modbus registers have been the easiest overall to setup due to very straightforward documentation. I've done System 3's, DS units and a couple of UPS's and they went very smooth.

MaxBurn - has ALC's LON interface gotten any better? My past experience was it was very poor, an SLTA off of the ALC board, and it was very slow.
    Last edited by crab master; 05-30-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: *
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    The RS-485 intellislot has worked well for us, short of the High Head Pressure Circuit 2 false alarm, but if you setup a delay on that register for 120 seconds and it'll eliminate the false alarm.
    It seems to read tripped for just over 90 seconds at times and then clears. At least that was the last value I had that alarmed until I changed it to 120. It would alarm out about 1 every 3 months, but haven't gotten a false alarm since changing the delay.
    *Also credit to Liebert, their Modbus registers have been the easiest overall to setup due to very straightforward documentation. I've done System 3's, DS units and a couple of UPS's and they went very smooth.

MaxBurn - has ALC's LON interface gotten any better? My past experience was it was very poor, an SLTA off of the ALC board, and it was very slow.
    There's still a lot of work behind the scenes with velocity and the firmware on the AC units so I am expecting a lot of these problems to go away. But unfortunately it will meeting having to stay on top of updates for the AC unit firmware the intellislot firmware.

We have no changes planned for the LON interface, and I don't recall hearing anything from ALC saying that they're going to change from the SLTA device to something else. If ALC does change I would expect us to follow.
    Scott Jalbert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast