Thread: My Shame

My Shame

Today I cross threaded a new gas valve on a tube heater....
    Hard to get at... a huge dust collector in the way. 20 ft inside of a sky jack.....Tighten everything down, check for leaks.....SH*T its leaking, tighten a little more..... STILL LEAKING!!! F*CK!! Remove gas valve and inspect...... *?$"/&(*OJHBV**?% ITS CROSS THREADED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid rookie mistake....Now I reorder and pay for valve, drive back to factory, maneuver skyjack back into place, change valve, test for leaks, start up system and apologize to customer for taking
    so long. All things totaled...... an extra 120$ for the valve, 30$ in gas, 2hrs driving to and from, and 2hrs extra time working.......Let this F*ck up be a lesson to newer trade guys out there.... take the extra 2 minutes!!!!

What doesn't kill you.......entertains us!

We've all been there man.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

We have all been there.

Stuff Happens......

Quote Originally Posted by KickedGinger View Post
    Today I cross threaded a new gas valve on a tube heater....
    Hard to get at... a huge dust collector in the way. 20 ft inside of a sky jack.....Tighten everything down, check for leaks.....SH*T its leaking, tighten a little more..... STILL LEAKING!!! F*CK!! Remove gas valve and inspect...... *?$"/&(*OJHBV**?% ITS CROSS THREADED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stupid rookie mistake....Now I reorder and pay for valve, drive back to factory, maneuver skyjack back into place, change valve, test for leaks, start up system and apologize to customer for taking
    so long. All things totaled...... an extra 120$ for the valve, 30$ in gas, 2hrs driving to and from, and 2hrs extra time working.......Let this F*ck up be a lesson to newer trade guys out there.... take the extra 2 minutes!!!!
    At some point everybody cross threads something at least once. The difference is the guys who make it right VS the ones who run and leave it that way.

You made a mistake, which us a real bummer but you made it right, good job : ).

Yeah I think we all can agree that we have been there, and also that we all have encountered those incidents that people DIDN'T do the right thing.

Did good man.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Recently at the place I work, we received a shipment of natural gas duct furnaces to be installed in RTU's we where build per customer specs. They furnaces had to be converted for LP gas, and thus I was tasked with changing out orifices, the spring in the hi/low valve and replacing the modulating valve. Most of them went fine except one that took me 20 minutes, a 36" pipe wrench and a vice to get off. The damn thing had been fully seated, cross threaded. Thank you for not being the guy that leaves that nightmare for others to deal with. The valve was completely ruined. It was filled with metal shavings. Thank god it was being converted before we run tested it. There was no way it could have been sealed.