+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Integrate a MODBUS devices (power meter)

Post Likes

Integrate a MODBUS devices (power meter)

HI GUYS.....
    i integrate a Modbus devices (a power meter) into my system. To continuous monitoring electric power and energy consumption. With the values from the power meter, i could use it for my trending (plot graph). However, what it appears in my station(EBI's user interface) is a fixed value. For example, when I ON my simulation panel (to simulate a building with HVAC,valve... etc), the power meter reading is 20Watts. My station(EBI's user interface) will show 20 Watts even the power meter reading changes. Anyone where have gone wrong?

here are some of the extra information :

I am using comfort point controller (type: XL8000-IPC model). I have 2 computers and 1 simulation panel (to simulate a building with HVAC,valve... etc). Comfortpoint studio and comfortpoint online are installed at my right hand side computer. At my left hand side computer i have Station, HMIWeb display building and Quick builder installed. In between the two computer is my simulation panel.

The power meter I am using is Amptron AI205.

Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    https://docs.google.com/present/edit...pqZHo&hl=en_US

Here is the link to the powerpoint slide (with picture) which provide more information.

Post Likes
    anyone know???

Post Likes
    I don't know if XL8000 does Modbus. I think Comfortpoint does.
    However, we have a Modbus/LON device so you could take your modbus meter directly to LON.

Post Likes
    Could it be that the "Scanning and control enable" checkbox activates the polling on the modbus and therefore enables the reading of live values?

Post Likes
    OK here is my two pennys worth.

On your power point slides you have not shown what you have set in the Scanning tab, Whats in this Tab?
    My guess is that as its a Modbus point directly into the EBI server, then the point will have to be scanned by the server as a 'dummy' point.

If you have an XL8000 (I have not a clue how you got this to talk Modbus) then you should have an XL5000 pointserver, I dont see one of them running in the taskbar. So you have really confused me with your first post.

Have a look in the quickbuilder project and see what or how the server point is configured. Then get back to us.

Keith

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith D View Post
    ...If you have an XL8000 (I have not a clue how you got this to talk Modbus)...
    I want to go on record as suggesting this in a nicer manner. TIA.

Post Likes

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    I want to go on record as suggesting this in a nicer manner. TIA.
    Ah Sys, Your just too darn nice now

Welcome back by the way.

Post Likes
    Sorry for the misleading first post.
    https://docs.google.com/present/edit...h6czg&hl=en_US
    here is the new ppt i have made.

Thanks for the help....

Post Likes
    woot....SOLUTION FOUND....
    https://docs.google.com/present/edit...h6czg&hl=en_US
    same link as the previous post

Post Likes
    Only guess I could give for why changing the range would have made a difference is the resolution of the points perhaps? Having that 64k range originally might have made the changes would were receiving from the modbus less than the hysteresis limit in the point server, so it was not updating. Turning scanning on and off would force an update, which is why it would update then. My guess is that the 1.0% Drift Deadband on the scanning tab is what was preventing your updates. (1.0% of the 64k range is 650W, doubtful your load was changing that much, since it's only showing 8W in the screengrabs.

Post Likes
    hi CraziFuzzy

I have some questions....
    May I know what is Drift Deadband and hysteresis limit and how it works?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhaze View Post
    hi CraziFuzzy

I have some questions....
    May I know what is Drift Deadband and hysteresis limit and how it works?
    Ther EBI server has the ability to perform calculations (Point Algorithms) on points, either from the field or 'Server points' these are effectively 'Dummy points'.

For example you could read in 4 floor space temperatures, then in the server you could add them all together and divide the answer by 4, you could then send these to a Server point called 'Average Space Temperature'.

Now i'm fairly sure the EBI server can also act as a PID loop on points (Never really looked into this to be honest) and I think the drift deadband is to stop the loop constantly updating and taking up too much server time performing calculations.

However, with EBI nothing is too obvious and I aggree with CraziFuzzy. Try changing the drift level down to something like (0.001).

Another thing thats puzzling me is how are you getting this data into the EBI? Generally field points come in via 'pointservers' i.e. XL5000, Lonworks, Bacnet, BNPS. These servers pass data to the EBI server which it looks like you are getting the data on your first slide to come from.

Check the pointserver (Click on the blue 'System' button at the bottom of the screen)
    You should be able to check that the pointserver is connected from here or see if there are any problems.
    It also looks like you have a Bacnet server running in the taskbar, is this to do with this problem or is it running a different system?

Also try the EBI help file, its pretty tricky to get around but there is a lot of information with regard to server points and Algo's.

Keith

Post Likes
    I believe that to save on database operations, EBI will not update it's value for a point unless it has changed more than the drift deadband (called Hysteresis on some point types). This works well to filter out the noise. It does, however, make it hard (and unadvisable) to run PID loops on the data, as rate of change can sometimes be pretty sporatic. I believe honeywell hah always recommended running PID loops in controller hardware, and the server based point algorithms and point/server scripts are best suited to calculations like summing, unit conversion, etc. I, for instance, have MANY server scripts running to calculate tonnage to each of our campus buildings by reading in the flow, temp in, and temp out of the CHW and HHW. I also have some scripts that can sequentially start air handlers up with a couple second delay (to bring them on slowly after an outage, for instance). I would not try to control any PID type stuff from the server.

Post Likes
    Mr Fuzzy,

I agree with your points on the server run PID loops, I was trying to help our friend with some explanation of the points raised.

The only server scripts I run are to exchange data between BNPS points and XL5000. And these can be troublesome sometimes, especially if they are event driven.
    Keep as much as you can in the field controllers I say.

Hopefully Blackhaze will get back with more info on how this point is getting into the EBI, I am suspecting Bacnet now. We shall see....

Keith

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith D View Post
    Mr Fuzzy,

I agree with your points on the server run PID loops, I was trying to help our friend with some explanation of the points raised.

The only server scripts I run are to exchange data between BNPS points and XL5000. And these can be troublesome sometimes, especially if they are event driven.
    Keep as much as you can in the field controllers I say.

Hopefully Blackhaze will get back with more info on how this point is getting into the EBI, I am suspecting Bacnet now. We shall see....

Keith
    No, I think he's bringing it in directly as MODBUS, via a lantronix network serial port. You can see in his slide show where he set up the Lantronix, and then added a MODBUS channel to quickbuilder, and pointed it at the lantronix's IP address.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CraziFuzzy View Post
    No, I think he's bringing it in directly as MODBUS, via a lantronix network serial port. You can see in his slide show where he set up the Lantronix, and then added a MODBUS channel to quickbuilder, and pointed it at the lantronix's IP address.
    Hey Fuzzy, thanks for helping me to explain. I finding trouble putting them in words.

Post Likes
    Hi Blackhaze/CraziFuzzy,

I want to integrate in the EBI platform R310, six (6) Power Meters 710 (PM710). there are two (2) diferents sites and two (2) diferents gateways:
    - a EGX100 of Schneider
    - a UDS2100 of Lantronix

for the lantronix, i used the configurations posted by Blackhaze, but it didn't work on my system.

Below, i attached the link with the network.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1...it?hl=es&pli=1

Could you help me please?

Post Likes
    Hi Jeysonn,

Did you have any luck getting your meters on your EBI. We currently have some of these power meters through a Lantronix box that are working but i am trying to get some of the Schneider Compact NSXEN modbus modules talking to our R410 EBI through an EGX300.

I can read the registers of the modbus modules using a modbus testing software fine but EBI just doesn't like it for some reason. If you got the PM710s working through the EGX100 then it should be pretty close to what we are trying to do.

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in