Thread: Factory shame

Factory shame

This air handler was like this from factory. It is not like it is the one that slipped out the door on accident or something we have others just like it.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360207060.665082.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  43.9 KB
    Notice the frame notched out to fit the motor. It must run B42 belts. Try B43s and you can't pretend to get it tight the motor is in the frame. B41s and you cannot even roll it on because the sheaves are crammed so hard together.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360207512.049388.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  41.1 KB
    Belts are tight after the front of the unit had a hole drilled through it and the motor mount so a bolt could be put in it to pull it tight.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360207730.673896.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  46.3 KB
    Mickey mouse motor mount has no adjuster or even a place to pry to get the belts tight. The motor could not be 1/4" bigger in any direction or it wouldn't work.

System has been one failure after another even with continuous maintenance. It is irritating because it looks bad on the company when manufacturers make "commercial" equipment like this. I believe my drunk pot smoking brick laying neighbor could build a better air handler out of a riding lawnmower. Ok well maybe not but sometimes you look at this stuff and think wtf were they thinking?

They didn't tell you harbor freight was making units now?

What make is that.. that looks horrible

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Looks like a Carrier to me. Those are the ones that get mounted 24' in the air in a warehouse above something that cannot be moved and cannot be damaged and cannot ever get wet.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    I believe my drunk pot smoking brick laying neighbor could build a better air handler out of a riding lawnmower.
    I let out a yelp so hard I woke up my house mate!

That is shotty though and also unfortunate because the customer associates your name with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Looks like a Carrier to me. Those are the ones that get mounted 24' in the air in a warehouse above something that cannot be moved and cannot be damaged and cannot ever get wet.
    This is especially funny to me because I went to do a filter change on several 20 and 25 ton Carrier air handlers similar to the one in the OP.
    The one we have the most problems with the belts on, and that were squalling today, is almost exactly like the one in the OP, and is mounted in exactly the sort of location you mentioned.

I could change the filters through the open return off a fork lift mounted safety cage, but I couldn't get access to the blower side of it because this EXTREMELY sensitive, multimillion dollar toy(flight simulator) was in the final stages of construction almost directly under it.
    The black cover on top of it houses a bunch of very expensive projection equipment.
    Name:  2-6-13 003.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  46.6 KB

The white semicircular part is a Mylar mirror held in shape by vacuum.
    It takes crazy man hours just to get the mirror set up properly.
    Name:  2-6-13 002.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  47.6 KB

This is the interior of a working display model of an older version they have in another part of the facility, it's pretty fun to play with.
    Name:  2-6-13 004.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  55.7 KB

Hopefully they will have the thing out of the way in a couple of weeks so I can fix the belts before they chew up the pulleys again...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    This is especially funny to me because I went to do a filter change on several 20 and 25 ton Carrier air handlers similar to the one in the OP.
    Oh yea I forgot about the well thought out filter rack also. Boy that's a real crowning achievement with the slide on clip and notched out rail. I didnt want to mention a manufacturer because I'm not just trying to name bash. Every manufacturer has a line of wtf products though. Yes it's a carrier (gemini), complete with condensing unit. Not the older Gemini condenser that falls apart and is a pain to split n wash and is a complete joke of a commercial unit. This one has a comfort link and micro channel. I actually really like this newer style if the micro channels stop leaking.