+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brazing sticks % of sliver

Post Likes
    Learned using 0% and never had any issue with copper to copper. Only use 15% for things like RV's & TXV's due to its cost.

Post Likes
    What about that stuff that comes on a roll.... looks like solder...... Has it also gone up in price ???
    The bible is my constitution and the constitution is my bible.

WE THE PEOPLE refers to THEM and not YOU.

Jonathan Lawson 2024

Post Likes
    Harris 15% for most. Harris Stay Brite for dissimilar metals. Between those 2, there's not much that you can't join together reliably.

Post Likes
    Doing residential work... most of what I see is CO to CO.

Dynaflow seems to work well... reasonable flow and good gap filling. Temp control is a little more critical (needs to be a little hotter, yet not hot enough to do damage to other things). CLEAN joints are more important with Dynaflow... as it bonds better to clean (read that shiny) surfaces. As with lots of other things... preparation (of the joint) seems as important as the (actual brazing) process.

Anything heat sensitive (TXV, RV, etc), I use StayBrite solder. Even a TXV on a 410 system, if the mechanical fit is sung, I have not had any issues.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    Higher the silver, easier it flows, less heat needed. Less heat the better.

Boss is buying 6% as it's cheaper.
    Is it? Think about it like this (not telling your boss what to do) I can braze a joint in half the time using less gas and fewer leaks with 15% than I can with 6%, the chances of having a joint crack upon cool down are increased slightly too. Also, more heat outside the joint = more contamination inside meaning that unless you're using a nitrogen purge, you stand the risk of contamination.

I think if you really look at it, your boss is not saving a dime. Last time I checked, acetylene and labor is getting expensive too...

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Doing residential work... most of what I see is CO to CO.

Dynaflow seems to work well... reasonable flow and good gap filling. Temp control is a little more critical (needs to be a little hotter, yet not hot enough to do damage to other things). CLEAN joints are more important with Dynaflow... as it bonds better to clean (read that shiny) surfaces. As with lots of other things... preparation (of the joint) seems as important as the (actual brazing) process.

Anything heat sensitive (TXV, RV, etc), I use StayBrite solder. Even a TXV on a 410 system, if the mechanical fit is sung, I have not had any issues.
    This in an odd way proves my point, the prep work you speak of does not come free.... I am a firm believer in get it fit, get it brazed and move on. We don't use line sets, so the brazing process for us needs to be as bullet and idiot proof as possible.

X2 on the Stay Brite 8, great stuff IMHO, driers, sight glasses, txv's, reversing valves. I can't see how it would ever have an issue... Even with 410A.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Post Likes
    When I did a bunch of it I always used the 15% for everything. Including dissimilar metals and used Harris Stay-Silv with great results. Only had to carry one product for everything.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Is it? Think about it like this (not telling your boss what to do) I can braze a joint in half the time using less gas and fewer leaks with 15% than I can with 6%, the chances of having a joint crack upon cool down are increased slightly too. Also, more heat outside the joint = more contamination inside meaning that unless you're using a nitrogen purge, you stand the risk of contamination.

I think if you really look at it, your boss is not saving a dime. Last time I checked, acetylene and labor is getting expensive too...

This in an odd way proves my point, the prep work you speak of does not come free.... I am a firm believer in get it fit, get it brazed and move on. We don't use line sets, so the brazing process for us needs to be as bullet and idiot proof as possible.

X2 on the Stay Brite 8, great stuff IMHO, driers, sight glasses, txv's, reversing valves. I can't see how it would ever have an issue... Even with 410A.

GT
    I like stay bright 8 for 410. Don't have to worry so much about draging out the nitrogen. Never had a problem. Still use a lot of 15% silver on commercial refrigeration.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in