+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Astro/Safari van

Post Likes

Astro/Safari van

What is the best shock absorber to go with for these vans? I got alot of weight. It has 310,000KM and the suspension is SO bouncy.

Does anyone know how to disable the side door lock? When you put it in park it unlocks the side door. If you don't remember everytime you could be leaving side door open. I don't see a need for it in a panel van only passenger.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    What is the best shock absorber to go with for these vans? I got alot of weight. It has 310,000KM and the suspension is SO bouncy.Thanks

Bag It. The bag type air shocks for the rear axle. The only way for me.

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Post Likes
    If I bagged it it would be laying frame not looking to go that route.

I am looking for a Good strong shock that someone has used before.

Post Likes
    I don't think he means what you think he does. I think maybe he means something like firestone ride rites (I think that is what they are called) they supplement your suspension so you don't bounce and the van doesn't sag.

Post Likes
    Maybe even adding a leaf or the factory ones are getting worn at that milage with heavy loading.

Post Likes

http://www.truckspring.com/suspensio...rol-59521.aspx

There are other brands & styles

Post Likes
    So these air bags don't need a compressor or storage tank etc? The van has maybe 100,000km left in her so air bag shocks are not in her future.

I appreciate the replys but looking for a shock absorber like a step above Monroe shock etc. That style

Post Likes
    Reasons i mentioned those.... when the van is done they could possibly be put on your next van if it is a rwd 1/2t. If your van is overloaded then the leafs might be getting tired and I'm not sure shocks alone would correct. High end shocks may be near the same cost. I do not know which brand of shocks to recommend for your application. Just giving you food for thought.

Post Likes

My '96 Astro has over 300k miles on it. 17 mpg with max load / ladders.

Post Likes
    New/more springs are the way to go unless your load varies alot, then the bags are better if they are adjustable easy enough.
    A smooth sea has never made a worthy mariner
    English proverb

Post Likes
    It might have an actuator and if so just unplug it after removing panel, but then you will have a manual unlock/lock, Does your van have a strip of buttons on top left of dash, on my express its the control panel for locking functions, lights etc, my express got wired wrong and when I locked from main button, damm side door would open, I just switched wires.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    What is the best shock absorber to go with for these vans? I got alot of weight. It has 310,000KM and the suspension is SO bouncy.

Does anyone know how to disable the side door lock? When you put it in park it unlocks the side door. If you don't remember everytime you could be leaving side door open. I don't see a need for it in a panel van only passenger.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Monroe makes some really good adjustable air shocks. I have ran these before and they do the job and last. The issue is the initial price for the shocks and the installation, not to mention when you have them aired up and you hit a bump it feels like you are in a log wagon!(no suspension travel).But in a no load situation you can adjust them to regain the suspension travel.

Here's the link:http://www.monroe.com/products/Max-Air/Shock-Absorbers

On my second truck I chose to opt for a extra leaf spring installed on each side of the rear axle.The price is somewhat cheaper but the downside is they are not adjustable for the ever changing load weight.If you are not running a heavy load the ride is more stiff.(less suspension travel)and there is no way to adjust it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in