+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Evergreen compared to Fanhandler vs. Variable speed - which is better?

Post Likes

Evergreen compared to Fanhandler vs. Variable speed - which is better?

What are the differences between Evergreen and Fanhandler? I have not used any Evergreen motors.
    I put a Fanhandler in my son's airhandler, replacing a PSC motor, so they can run the blower continuously without the annoying noise and drafts. My impression of it is good. I like the way the speed gradually increases with the duct temperature and decreases gradually after a heat cycle. I have a two-speed furnace with a variable speed blower at home and we run the blower full time, but it doesn't ramp motor speed the way the Fanhandler does. We have been very pleased with variable speed and I always recommend it to our customers but I'm curious about the alternatives.
    Do any of you have experience with both? What do you like or dislike about Evergreen and/or Fanhandler?

Post Likes
    One is more focused on saving energy the other is more focused on providing comfort.

I've used them both and depending on the application, the customer's needs/request/situation, depends on what I install.

I'm waiting for the day when the two companies get together (for the benefit of the end customer) and combine the two technologies, but I'm not holding my breath.

The next logical step in the evolution of HE residential forced air heating equipment is to provide constant feedback to an ECM motor control that allows it to positively control (instead of pre-programmed algorithms) delta T, SP, zoning changes, etc etc etc.. I'm guessing patents and the cost of a few sensors, a new generation of control boards and silicon chips has this on the "maybe someday" shelf for now.

The government regulators are too busy making sure you can crash your 5 star rated car into a wall at 35MPH and not get a scratch (while texting & playing with all the must have gadgets) and trying to make sure the consumer is taken out of the equation of what efficiency furnace they should be able to buy. Guess when we're all as safe as they can mandate they'll worry about comfort AND efficiency to make sure they have a job for the next 50 years. Hmmm took me until Wed. to pull out the soap box. I must be having a better week.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Fan Handler makes one that will work with an existing ECM2.x motor, plugs inline with the 16 pin harness. It also works with the AO Smith VS motor.
    It ramps the blower based on the temperature rise/drop, and can be used with a static pressure transducer to control the duct pressure.

They call it the ecMModulator.
    www.fanhandler.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post

The next logical step in the evolution of HE residential forced air heating equipment is to provide constant feedback to an ECM motor control that allows it to positively control (instead of pre-programmed algorithms) delta T, SP, zoning changes, etc etc etc.. I'm guessing patents and the cost of a few sensors, a new generation of control boards and silicon chips has this on the "maybe someday" shelf for now.

:
    Trane and Lennox zoning controls already do this. In fact Trane has had PWM BK terminal to command the ECM since early 90s with the GE 2.3 motor.

Post Likes
    I stand corrected.

X's off my "what did I learn today"
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    I have been installing Fan Hnandler controls for 15 years with great success. I like how they operate a psc mtr. and the only reason I have not installed a ecm modulator is because the local and state rebates don't recognize this product (even though it's a superior product). I would install an ecm modulator without hesitation if I was doing a mtr. upgrade, then customer gets the best of both worlds...comfort and efficiency.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Trane and Lennox zoning controls already do this. In fact Trane has had PWM BK terminal to command the ECM since early 90s with the GE 2.3 motor.
    A couple of the AS/Trane digital thermostats will directly control the blower via PWM too.

Most people don't seem to be aware of it, but the ECM2.x motor in ANY brand of equipment can be directly PWM controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectionist View Post
    I have been installing Fan Hnandler controls for 15 years with great success. I like how they operate a psc mtr. and the only reason I have not installed a ecm modulator is because the local and state rebates don't recognize this product (even though it's a superior product). I would install an ecm modulator without hesitation if I was doing a mtr. upgrade, then customer gets the best of both worlds...comfort and efficiency.
    The newest version of the ecMModulator works directly with the existing ECM2.3 motors still used lot of new equipment, so you can use one for better control on a system that qualifies for the efficiency rebates.
    The first version was only set up to work with the aftermarket AO Smith VS motor.

Of course the problem now is that a lot of the new stuff is coming with serial communicating motors.
    I'm curious if the ecMModulator will still work with the newer VS motors. I think its only real communication with the motor is a go signal, and a PWM control signal. If so, it should be pretty easy to get it to work with some of the newer equipment that uses a serial communicating motors. I know AS/Trane still has the option of PWM control in theirs.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in