+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Let me tear the whole unit apart, then call you to fix it?

Post Likes

Let me tear the whole unit apart, then call you to fix it?

So in the last week have came across many DIYers' that when I show up to the call, walking into the living room the whole burner tray or pellet insert is taken apart. Wires, screws, and panels everywhere. On an enviro system that was old screws were spread all over the floor and their dogs were walking all over them. They obviously were trying to figure it out themselves how to fix it. One was a blower change out. The other was a highlimit malfunctioning. In both cases it took me longer to do the job because I had to figure out where everything went etc.. Talked to the boss about it and now going to start charging more when this occurs, I don't mind putting the puzzle back together but when you don't unravel the puzzel yourself it just takes longer to put back together. Just wondering what you guys do in those situations?

Post Likes
    Smile for the gift I was given, and charge according.

Post Likes
    I always charge extra for what I refer to as "Tinkeritis"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ashtree View Post
    So in the last week have came across many DIYers' that when I show up to the call, walking into the living room the whole burner tray or pellet insert is taken apart. Wires, screws, and panels everywhere. On an enviro system that was old screws were spread all over the floor and their dogs were walking all over them. They obviously were trying to figure it out themselves how to fix it. One was a blower change out. The other was a highlimit malfunctioning. In both cases it took me longer to do the job because I had to figure out where everything went etc.. Talked to the boss about it and now going to start charging more when this occurs, I don't mind putting the puzzle back together but when you don't unravel the puzzel yourself it just takes longer to put back together. Just wondering what you guys do in those situations?
    I thought you knew ten yrs picking oranges was equivilant to repairing heating units.

Post Likes
    I have come across this on furnaces, but not fireplaces.

If you are flat rate, then some additional charge is warranted. We are time and material, so it takes what it takes.

I tell them that I can either assume their diagnosis is correct and replace the part or put it all back together and test it properly. Either way, they are paying for the total repair and if their repair is not the fix, they bought the part and time anyway.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I operate per hour, so the more damage they do, the more damage I do. It works well

Edit: Ok so i have to tell you a story. I get called out to a fireplace problem "I cant get pilot to light". When I arrive the logs, burner, refractory panels, glass, and front were all removed. "There's your problem". So I say to myself how hard can it be? So I get down and prepare to try and light the pilot myself to see whats going on, I push in the pilot/on/off knob. WHOOOOOOSH it sounds like good size hole in a tire, instead of the tiny hiss you get from a normal pilot.
    ALL stop, Houston we have a problem. So I go out side to check tank and regulator, yep just as I thought no regulator. Customer states then that he removed regulator, because he doesn't think it was working. Well after replacing regulator(he threw the old one away) and the valve(it blew up, who knew they couldn't handle tank pressure) customer was out several hundred dollars. The actual original problem? a dirty pilot.

Post Likes
    I don't mind when customers take off only the glass, as I work on gas units, but I don't like when they go further then that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in