Patient Room thermostats

I'm designing a job that is an in-patient care facility. I thought somewhere in the codes there was an item saying each room needs to have its own thermostat. Now I can't find it (of course). The contractor priced having 3-4 rooms on a single unit with one thermostat instead of separate units with separate controls. Does anybody know of such a code and where I can find it? THANKS.

Don't know about codes, but here is a link to VA Hospital Design Manual that does mention individual room control.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwnt...it?usp=sharing

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

I know another concern is damage to thermostats depending on the user of the rooms. In most of the metal health care rooms we put the sensors in the return air to prevent damage. The set point would be controlled at the head end unit.

We actually designed a floor of the same building for a mental health care facility and have done a few others in the past. This particular patient care is more or less a hospice for children. I've been looking all day through code books and online but can't find where it says each room has to have individual temperature control but I swear I have seen it before.

Quote Originally Posted by simux View Post
    I know another concern is damage to thermostats depending on the user of the rooms. In most of the metal health care rooms we put the sensors in the return air to prevent damage. The set point would be controlled at the head end unit.
    This is what I use anytime I have any concerns of damage to the room sensor.

http://workaci.com/products/acp-sp

Name:  SP.gif
Views: 123
Size:  7.3 KB

No way someone is gonna bugger that thing up unless they are having a really bad day.

i have done quite a few medical buildings in PA. i have never seen a code that requires individual room control. Not sure about your area. What does the architect say? What is in the Spec? Or are you the Architect ? Are you writing the spec?
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

We do a lot of medical facilities and I have never seen a spec or code that requires individual room zone control. Of course, the Dept. of Health requirements can be different in your state. Somethings that come to mind
    is that all patient rooms must have hard ducted return air. Also, LEED prefers to see individual room control.
    "Controls is a lifestyle not a job" -klrogers

We've done quite a few medical facilities and more often than not there are multiple patient rooms served by one room sensor/ VAV box.