Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

I would call the guy back,

looking at that unit he was doing the owner a service. Insurance will be buying him a new shiny one.

Unfortunately some times new shiny units like this come up missing a few parts, it was two weeks young, before it was raped of all the easy to remove copper.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “You don't get paid for the hour. You get paid for the value you bring to the hour.” Jim Rohn

Quote Originally Posted by nolaHVAC View Post
    Yeah man, it really upsets me to see how bad off people are that they will steal from a Church!! What we have done for a few people now is fabricate a chain link fence around the units, then energize the fence! It helps prevent theft; doesn't stop it, but at least HELPS a little. It also prevents the customer from "fixing" their unit themselves! <------ Just a little added benefit!
    Saw a good sign in front of a church recently " To whoever took our AC units, keep them.... It's going to be hot where you are going"

Quote Originally Posted by The460hvacdude View Post
    A church also had several units stolen and they were replaced several days later. Two weeks later, the new units were gone. The thieves even came back two months later to the same church and ripped out the units for the third time. This stuff pisses me off.
    thats when you install the claymores

We install something called a "watchdog" that taps into the refer lines and if the pressure gets below 5 or 10 psi the system sounds a loud alarm and a unit calls whatever phone numbers you preset into and plays a recorded message to them. Another company around here makes cages that cover the unit and lock down to the pad.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

We've never had any issue around here with people messing with customers equipment but last spring we did have every catalytic converter cut off everyone of our vans except the one they couldn't get under made for a long next day. Best part was the local law enforcement saying "these guys are obviously professionals and we're not gonna find them" Valiant effort!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Several years ago my truck was broken into. The police said that it was the work of professionals so they couldn't catch them. I guess that means that the police must not be professionals. Still they can write a mean speeding ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post
    We've never had any issue around here with people messing with customers equipment but last spring we did have every catalytic converter cut off everyone of our vans except the one they couldn't get under made for a long next day. Best part was the local law enforcement saying "these guys are obviously professionals and we're not gonna find them" Valiant effort!

why would they steal catalytic converters?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post

Most of them contain platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    why would they steal catalytic converters?
    There's a small amount of platinum in catalytic converters, that's why they get cut out fo scrap.

Yeah lot of scrap yards will pay 50 to 100 dollars for each one

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmars1 View Post
    We install something called a "watchdog" that taps into the refer lines and if the pressure gets below 5 or 10 psi the system sounds a loud alarm and a unit calls whatever phone numbers you preset into and plays a recorded message to them. Another company around here makes cages that cover the unit and lock down to the pad.
    I think I seen something like this on an invention show, you could pressurize a building that was roughed in and if it dropped it would signal an alarm. It was more of a theft protection than something to find leaks obviously.

we see a lot of that here in az. buddy of mine works for another company, they installed 4 package heat pumps on a building, three days later got a call none were working. boss jumped on him, they both went to job and all 4 were striped, just the cabinets were left. boss felt bad, gave him a big raise .

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    I am seeing it more. In the fall I had a no cooling call at a building with two RTUs. The was a call for no cooling in the building. I thought it was odd to have both units down. Check inside at the stats and they were both calling for cooling. Set my ladder up and found the problem right away. Both disconnects were shut off at each unit. Now the only way that could have happened was if someone climbed up on the roof and shut them off. I advised the owners of the issue and I think they got cameras around the building now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Could have been a service tech that didn't turn the units back on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast