Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This reminds me of a copper thief story from a couple of years ago, the idiot broke unto a factory sub station and took a hacksaw to the energized lines....

What happened? Well put it to you all this way, I don't think he ever did any actual time... the judge took a good hard look at him and what the resulting electrocution did to him (he was lucky to even be alive) and sentenced him to "time already served" I don't think he'll be stealing copper anymore, he probably won't be chewing his own food either.

Its really bad out here in New Orleans area. People do not even think twice about going to cut up all the units at a CHURCH!!! Its really sad to see that people have such little respect for other peoples belongings. Another thing that they have recently made law around here is when you bring any copper to a scrap yard, you do not get paid cash on the spot. There is a waiting period of at least 5 business days, and then they mail a check to the address on your license. Also, some places require you to show an EPA card or some type of Business card showing you are in the HVAC field in order to scrap over one coil. Great idea if you ask me.

Copper theft is everywhere around here in metro Atlanta. Thieves ripped out two units at our relative's house which was up for sale. We didn't find out until we were over there checking on things and I noticed the temperature was 82*F upstairs and the thermostat was set at 78* calling for cool. I went outside and I saw pieces of the units scattered around and saw the linesets and coils missing. It's a shame the units were only a few years old (installed back in 2008 after a tree fell on the old units from the 1980's). These type of thefts keep getting worse.

A church also had several units stolen and they were replaced several days later. Two weeks later, the new units were gone. The thieves even came back two months later to the same church and ripped out the units for the third time. This stuff pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by The460hvacdude View Post
    A church also had several units stolen and they were replaced several days later. Two weeks later, the new units were gone. The thieves even came back two months later to the same church and ripped out the units for the third time. This stuff pisses me off.
    Yeah man, it really upsets me to see how bad off people are that they will steal from a Church!! What we have done for a few people now is fabricate a chain link fence around the units, then energize the fence! It helps prevent theft; doesn't stop it, but at least HELPS a little. It also prevents the customer from "fixing" their unit themselves! <------ Just a little added benefit!

The substation i drive by everyday has a sign saying something along the lines of "all copper components have been removed" i guess a 10' fence,high voltage,felony and barb wire dont cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by nolaHVAC View Post
    Yeah man, it really upsets me to see how bad off people are that they will steal from a Church!! What we have done for a few people now is fabricate a chain link fence around the units, then energize the fence! It helps prevent theft; doesn't stop it, but at least HELPS a little. It also prevents the customer from "fixing" their unit themselves! <------ Just a little added benefit!
    Even with fences, it still doesn't always help, but it can. Yup, customers should always call the pros out when their unit breaks down. They only screw things up even more trying to fix it themselves. That's another advantage of energizing a fence around the units!

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    The substation i drive by everyday has a sign saying something along the lines of "all copper components have been removed" i guess a 10' fence,high voltage,felony and barb wire dont cut it.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by nolaHVAC View Post
    Its really bad out here in New Orleans area. People do not even think twice about going to cut up all the units at a CHURCH!!! Its really sad to see that people have such little respect for other peoples belongings. Another thing that they have recently made law around here is when you bring any copper to a scrap yard, you do not get paid cash on the spot. There is a waiting period of at least 5 business days, and then they mail a check to the address on your license. Also, some places require you to show an EPA card or some type of Business card showing you are in the HVAC field in order to scrap over one coil. Great idea if you ask me.
    Not true just go to s. claiborne behind home depot and they give you cash.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Wow! I was not aware of that! I stand corrected. That's also in the "hood" too, so they probably just go by their own rules!

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    We usually have a guy come to the shop and pick up our scrap, however, I went recently to the scrap yard at the end of veterans in Kenner, and they gave me a flyer with all of this information. Maybe it is only in Jefferson Parish?! I don't know, but thanks for the info about Claiborne.

It happens allot here in Fort Worth area also, on church we set condenser on got hit twice in 3 months 25,000.00+
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Quote Originally Posted by fliks View Post
    I am not sure what they are even worth now but every install I do I call this guy I know and he shows up to remove the metal for me. I give him condensers, coils, furnaces, water heaters, and etc. This is his job and I appreciate not having to deal with it. We are both happy.
    well your giving away good money for a vacation at the end of the year, year long scrap pile can get you thousands for a vacation. Unless your the boss and dont need it, in that case you should think about your hands that make you money and let them take care of it
    (((PEACE IS THAT BRIEF MOMENT IN HISTORY WHERE EVERYBODY STANDS AROUND RELOADING)))

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast