Thread: Dirty coils use less freon than clean coils? Seriously?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Dirty coils use less freon than clean coils? Seriously?

Help. I purchased a one year HVAC service plan with a local company for 2 free servcie visits each a year apart. I have two split systems, one Trane and one Nordyne Maytag. Each are about two years old and hi eff units.

1st visit went fine and all was working as it should. Last week during the second visit the tech had a hard time doing pretty much everything from taking them apart, to cleaning them, to putting them back together, to getting them running again. After 2 days he said the Nordyne was completely out of freon and it was not working and he wanted $ to charge the unit and then $?? to locate the leak. My wife told him no, they worked before you got here so they should be working when you leave. After 4 days w/o heat the company sent another tech and he said it was not a "restriction" because the reversing valve appears fine. He said it was low in freon (not empty) so he charged it (6#) and it began to heat. When he gave me a bill for $ i refused to pay and had him call his manager. The manager tells me the unit may have seemed to run ok before but it really wasn't. He said before the coils were dirty so less freon was needed to make heat so that made it seem like it ran ok, but now that they cleaned the coils the unit is able to run at full efficiency so now it needs a full charge of freon to run. Is this as big of a pile of steaming BS as it sounds to me like it is? DIrty coils require less freon because it's partially clogged up but now that it is not and the lines can fill completely it needs a full charge of freon? Really? Please help me see if I am getting swindled. Oh yeah, after I refused to pay the manager had his tech go outside and release the freon into the atmosphere - isnt' this illegal?? Thanks Much for any advice.

Pricing not allowed

Mod Team
    Last edited by Special-K; 02-05-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in