Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane XB series vs. Trane XR series

Harry Home owner" need feed back to match system for 2100 sq ft beach home. The current system is original builder 14 year old Trane 3 ton heat pump & air handler that is dying so has served it life span well.

Options:

XB 13 series heat pump 3 ton with a XB Hyperion GAT2A0B42S31SA 3.5 ton air handler

XB 13 series heat pump 3 ton with XR series Hyperion Tam4 air handler

XR 13 series heat pump 3 ton with XR series Hyperion Tam4 air handler either Tam4oa36 (3 ton) or Tam4a0b42 3.5 ton

The Air return will handle a 3.5 ton air handler but if move up to 3.5 tom will their be humidity issues ?

The XB is basic entry level which will do, also not to much difference between the 2 system and/or is the XR worth the extra bang for the buck.

The HVAC contractor is great, I've researched the site have not seen any negatives on these Trane models so just want to further my home work before making a decision on which system.

Thanks

There isn't a lot of diff between XB and XR. XR may have swept wing fan blade and wrap on recip compressor. Might be more likely to get 14 SEER with ECM motor but that requires GAM5 or TAM7.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    There isn't a lot of diff between XB and XR. XR may have swept wing fan blade and wrap on recip compressor. Might be more likely to get 14 SEER with ECM motor but that requires GAM5 or TAM7.
    The 3.5 ton will do close to 13 + seer as GAM5 or Tam7 over kill for house size but long term will the swept blades and wrap on compressor be an advantage for extra cost ? The warranties are the same for parts for 10 years.

Why would you want a (3.5) ton air handler? Your system in my opion would be best served with a (3) ton air handler rated with the outdoor unit.

The only reason I can see to go with a (3.5) ton air handler would be to increase the seer rating of the entire system. While as you state you return will handle (3.5) ton worth of return I see no point in doing so. The (3.5) ton air handler can be adjusted to match the outdoor unit with speed tap to set up to handle (3) tons worth of air flow. If this option is selected the installer would need to adjust the speed tap for the proper air flow to match the outdoor unit. Other wise you will have a louder indoor unit that will not dehumdify as well if left set up to run (3.5) ton of air flow!

I would ask your installing dealer to list the seer ratings for each option. The tam4 air handler is good unit that can achive 14 seer easly in all (3) ton matchs from the air handler and condenser. I have installed several GAT, GAF and TAM air handlers with minor issues that have been researched by Trane and solutions offered to the dealer to fix.

Did the contractor perform a load cal to ensure proper sizing of your new unit. While they gave you options they in the process have left you with so many diffent match ups that you are are not sure what to do. If it was me I would have sized the home out for the proper heating and cooling system and offered you a detailed estimate that included my recommdations for what air handler and condenser would be the best bang for the buck. Again talk with you installer and see which system set up is right for your home. Sometimes too many options leaves the customer confused and not knowing what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    Why would you want a (3.5) ton air handler? Your system in my opion would be best served with a (3) ton air handler rated with the outdoor unit.

The only reason I can see to go with a (3.5) ton air handler would be to increase the seer rating of the entire system. While as you state you return will handle (3.5) ton worth of return I see no point in doing so. The (3.5) ton air handler can be adjusted to match the outdoor unit with speed tap to set up to handle (3) tons worth of air flow. If this option is selected the installer would need to adjust the speed tap for the proper air flow to match the outdoor unit. Other wise you will have a louder indoor unit that will not dehumdify as well if left set up to run (3.5) ton of air flow!

I would ask your installing dealer to list the seer ratings for each option. The tam4 air handler is good unit that can achive 14 seer easly in all (3) ton matchs from the air handler and condenser. I have installed several GAT, GAF and TAM air handlers with minor issues that have been researched by Trane and solutions offered to the dealer to fix.

Did the contractor perform a load cal to ensure proper sizing of your new unit. While they gave you options they in the process have left you with so many diffent match ups that you are are not sure what to do. If it was me I would have sized the home out for the proper heating and cooling system and offered you a detailed estimate that included my recommdations for what air handler and condenser would be the best bang for the buck. Again talk with you installer and see which system set up is right for your home. Sometimes too many options leaves the customer confused and not knowing what to do.
    The plan of using the 3.5 ton over the 3.0 ton is to provide better cooling upstairs i.e. increasing seer. Your comment of the 3.5 ton air handler not Dehumidify as well is 2nd time that opinion has been raised of matching a 3.0 ton unit with a 3.5 tion air handler. So if I understand correctly safer to stay with 3.0 ton either XB or XR heat pump matched with 3.0 ton either the XB or XR air handler.

What are the advantages of having the compressor and swept fan blades in the XR series over the XB series?

Thanks for your help

Goofy

Also has anyone ever had any serious issues with the Trane XB or XR series equipment ?

If dehumidification is important... then I would get a VS drive AH. Personally I like an AH (or furnace) with reserve blower capacity (as in a larger than 3 ton blower if one uses a 3 ton HP or AC).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Footer View Post
    The plan of using the 3.5 ton over the 3.0 ton is to provide better cooling upstairs i.e. increasing seer. Your comment of the 3.5 ton air handler not Dehumidify as well is 2nd time that opinion has been raised of matching a 3.0 ton unit with a 3.5 tion air handler. So if I understand correctly safer to stay with 3.0 ton either XB or XR heat pump matched with 3.0 ton either the XB or XR air handler.

What are the advantages of having the compressor and swept fan blades in the XR series over the XB series?

Thanks for your help

Goofy
    Seer has nothing to do with providing better cooling upstairs. That is a function of ductwork. A bigger airhandler will not provide better cooling upstairs.

all new XR13 heat pumps come with scrolls on all sizes, where as XB only gets scroll on 3 1/2 Ton and up. Also its a nicer color.

According to Web CATS, the latest version of the XR13 is still recip at 3 tons unless there's a model out that they haven't posted the parts list for.

feedback needed on Trane XB and XR series 3.0 tom heat pump and air handler

Also has anyone ever had any serious issues with the Trane XB or XR series 3.0 ton heat pump and air handler equipment ? I'm almost ready to install either one of these series in beach home so trying to avoid any unknown pitfalls.

Thanks

The outdoor units are functionally identical, just different powder coat color, and different louvers in the side panels. The XR has a much better compressor and outdoor coil warranty though.
    I've never had any issues with them, but I'm hundreds of miles from the nearest beach, that isn't on a fresh water lake.

Depending on what air handlers are being offered, there can be a whole world of difference with the indoor equipment.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Aren't warranties 10 year if registered now on both?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast