Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suction Line Inverted Loop

Post Likes

Suction Line Inverted Loop

I recently had my split system AC unit replaced. I purchased and set the equipment myself and hired an AC technician to do the rest. In reading the instructions for the condensing unit, it calls for an inverted loop in the compressor suction line when the evaporator coil is above the condenser, which mine is. The installer did not do this, and I'm wondering how important it might be. I checked with the company that sold me the equipment and asked them if this would void my warranty. The said no, but I didn't feel that the person who told me really knew.

Thank you for your comments.

Post Likes
    We cannot assist with DIY advice. Call your installing contractor back and ask them. What is "an iverted loop"?

Post Likes
    I've already talked to him about it. He said he doesn't normally put them in. I assume they are to keep liquid out of the suction line to the compressor, so I was wondering if someone here could tell me.

Post Likes
    Normally you put in an oil trap if the condenser is above the evaporator. But I've never heard of this and I've been around the block at least twice.

Post Likes
    If you read my original post, you would know that I did not actually install this equipment.

Post Likes
    The manufacturer did not say in their literature what the purpose of the line is, but I'm assuming it's to keep liquid from slugging the compressor. They show the trap for the type of installation you describe also. I'm not going to worry about it any more.

Post Likes
    OMG...they didn't install an inverted loop???? We do it on every install we provide the equipment for!!! Cause we are warrantying the equipment!!!
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    If you know how an indoor A (evap) coil is constructed, you'd realize most systems have a "built in" trap in suction line.

P.S. Actually most experienced professionals know this already......(had to add that!).
    Last edited by wahoo; 02-05-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    If you know how an indoor A (evap) coil is constructed, you'd realize most systems have a "built in" trap in suction line.

P.S. Actually most experienced professionals know this already......(had to add that!).
    I guess the people that built it must know that too, eh? If so, why are they recommending installing another loop in the suction line outside of the coil? I never represented myself as a professional installer, so that's why I'm asking the question. As a professional, aren't you supposed to be helping people?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    OMG...they didn't install an inverted loop???? We do it on every install we provide the equipment for!!! Cause we are warrantying the equipment!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomg View Post
    I guess the people that built it must know that too, eh? If so, why are they recommending installing another loop in the suction line outside of the coil? I never represented myself as a professional installer, so that's why I'm asking the question. As a professional, aren't you supposed to be helping people?
    We don't have to help anybody, some were just being nice.
    The people who sold you the equipment don't no JACK.
    If I were you I would worry about the future breakdowns you are about to experience, but you might get lucky.

Post Likes
    Here is some more helpfull info that you may allready know- Units warranties purchased online have allready been voided, of course you will find that out when you need to use it.

Post Likes
    There is a contractor locator on this site. Call a local professional, pay their fee, and they'll "help" you. We cannot assist with DIY, and this kinda sounds like DIY to me. Toocool has already hinted at the problems heading your way with this "install" job. Go ahead and call the "company" you bought this from and demand they supply an "inverted loop" for this job. I dare you.....Aw heck, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU......(loved that show..)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    There is a contractor locator on this site. Call a local professional, pay their fee, and they'll "help" you. We cannot assist with DIY, and this kinda sounds like DIY to me. Toocool has already hinted at the problems heading your way with this "install" job. Go ahead and call the "company" you bought this from and demand they supply an "inverted loop" for this job. I dare you.....Aw heck, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU......(loved that show..)
    I don't think you understand what I did. I just bought the equipment. I hired a local contractor to disconnect the existing equipment. I put the the coil in the attic and did the ductwork and drain plumbing. Then the contractor came back and hooked everything up and started it up. I already asked him about the loop. I was just looking for a second opinion.

Post Likes
    Did he reuse the old line set? Did it have an inverted loop.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Did he reuse the old line set? Did it have an inverted loop.
    Yes, he used the old line set, which did not have any loops. It's probably about 20' from the inside unit to the outside unit.

Post Likes
    The inverted trap requirement has been around for a long long time. Does your line set rise higher then your coil at any point. Does the line set have any incline before it goes outside.

Post Likes
    Had a local inspector tell me I would have issues with oil return because of inverted trap. Showed him the installation manual. He did not have much else to say about it.

Post Likes
    If you read my original post, you would know that I did not actually install this equipment.
    Oh, I read your original post and if you understand mine you would understand that I didn't even suggest that YOU installed it.

I dare anyone here to explain the logic in engineering speak why an inverted loop is necessary, helpful or required.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    I recently had my split system AC unit replaced. I purchased and set the equipment myself and hired an AC technician to do the rest.
    That means a portion of this job is DIY.
    You went cheap & bought the equipment to save a few bucks (and have no warranty BTW). I'm betting the only thing the "installer" did was connect lineset & charge.
    Have him explain it to you & correct it if need be.
    You won't get much help here for internet purchased equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in