I think we found part of our problem with Mentally Ill

I don't like to say I told you so, but within 48 hours of the Sandy Hook shooting I basically said we, as a society, must address mental health issues in our country. I was addressing the last three mass shooting. All of which involved a KNOWN mentally unstable individual.

It seems our problems started with JFK. Mr. Kennedy decided to socialize and integrate the Mentally Ill and Mentally retarded individuals in our neighborhoods. Which on the surface sounds like a wonderful thing. As it turns out, not so much. read on:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop

According to multiple studies summarized by the Treatment Advocacy Center, these untreated mentally ill are responsible for 10% of all homicides (and a higher percentage of the mass killings), constitute 20% of jail and prison inmates and at least 30% of the homeless. Severely mentally ill individuals now inundate hospital emergency rooms and have colonized libraries, parks, train stations and other public spaces. The quality of the lives of these individuals mocks the lofty intentions of the founders of the CMHC program
    {emphasis added by me}
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

The idea of linking gun rights to mental illness will not gain any traction anywhere because everyone knows that mental illness can be both subjective and difficult to quantify. There can be cases where you have 5 clinical psychological evaluations of 1 subject, and you end up with 5 different diagnoses. Where do you draw the line for who may and may not have access to a weapon? Who decides who loses their rights and on what grounds? Who pays for all of this psychological evaluation and re-evaluation? How many more layers of bureaucracy must be added to government to manage it?

I understand that mental illness is a pinata for you 2nd amendment zealots right now. The real root cause of the problem is that our materialistic values in the western world breed psychotics and deranged individuals. Mental illness and gun violence are both merely symptoms of a greater societal ill.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    The idea of linking gun rights to mental illness will not gain any traction anywhere because everyone knows that mental illness can be both subjective and difficult to quantify. There can be cases where you have 5 clinical psychological evaluations of 1 subject, and you end up with 5 different diagnoses. Where do you draw the line for who may and may not have access to a weapon? Who decides who loses their rights and on what grounds? Who pays for all of this psychological evaluation and re-evaluation? How many more layers of bureaucracy must be added to government to manage it?

I understand that mental illness is a pinata for you 2nd amendment zealots right now. The real root cause of the problem is that our materialistic values in the western world breed psychotics and deranged individuals. Mental illness and gun violence are both merely symptoms of a greater societal ill.

But doens't this just follow your left logic or we have to do something? That's what Obummer and Biden (dumb as a stump) keep saying. More laws, more laws, more laws. Oh wait we can't enforce the ones we have, that's okay, more laws...

I would concur that we need to get to the cause of all this mental illness, but we also need to do something about the people running around now suffering from it.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post
    But doens't this just follow your left logic or we have to do something? That's what Obummer and Biden (dumb as a stump) keep saying. More laws, more laws, more laws. Oh wait we can't enforce the ones we have, that's okay, more laws...

I would concur that we need to get to the cause of all this mental illness, but we also need to do something about the people running around now suffering from it.
    this is exactly the point. We have far to many people that have lost touch with family/support. Passing more mental health laws will not help. I think it would actually hurt. As in NYS "Safe Act". which states that doctors are encouraged to report people that maybe violent. Now I ask, If someone is depressed or manic, why would they want to get on a Government watch list?

We as a society MUST demystify mental Illness. We must do everything in our power to get these people into treatment or we WILL have another Sandy Hook type incident.
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Mental health is not a major issue when folks have to WORK or starve... When we get our basic society back on track... lots of these 'problems' will go away.

I am not cold hearted towards folks who are down on their luck... however when we prop up folks who continually make bad decisions... should we really complain when they do stupid things (which harm others)?

Give a man a fish... you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish... you feed him for life. Now if he does not want to go fishing to feed himself and his family... well he needs to feel those hunger pains in his gut. A decision will happen soon...

We are witnessing the funeral of our old friend: Mr/Mrs Common Sense.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Mental health is not a major issue when folks have to WORK or starve... When we get our basic society back on track... lots of these 'problems' will go away.

I am not cold hearted towards folks who are down on their luck... however when we prop up folks who continually make bad decisions... should we really complain when they do stupid things (which harm others)?

Give a man a fish... you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish... you feed him for life. Now if he does not want to go fishing to feed himself and his family... well he needs to feel those hunger pains in his gut. A decision will happen soon...

We are witnessing the funeral of our old friend: Mr/Mrs Common Sense.
    When you have to use the phrase "I am not cold hearted towards folks who are down on their luck" you in fact admit that you are.

It's tough to fish in the pay lake when you don't have the price of admission - no matter how much "teaching" they have received.