+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coleman Mod fornace

Post Likes

Coleman Mod fornace

Can a modulating furnace be zoned? I am referring to a new Coleman mod.

I would suspect that due to the varying fire rates and, like wise the varying airflow, that zoning would be a problem

Am I right in my assumption?

Post Likes
    Yes. There is a jumper on the board that removes the "run 2" feature.
    If you're working on these units, I would suggest getting a copy of the technical training manual. This is not your average furnace.
    Chances are you'll need it at some point.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    Yes. There is a jumper on the board that removes the "run 2" feature.
    If you're working on these units, I would suggest getting a copy of the technical training manual. This is not your average furnace.
    Chances are you'll need it at some point.
    Yes I know. Our supplier (johnstone) promised us a training seminar when we signed on for the mod but the class was never scheduled or has plans to be.

Can you provide a source for the service manual you mentioned? Coleman tech service never returns my calls and I have waited an hour on hold only to be told to leave a voice mail.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Yes I know. Our supplier (johnstone) promised us a training seminar when we signed on for the mod but the class was never scheduled or has plans to be.

Can you provide a source for the service manual you mentioned? Coleman tech service never returns my calls and I have waited an hour on hold only to be told to leave a voice mail.
    Thanks
    With support like that, where do I sign up?

Post Likes
    a digital copy of the technical manual can be found at UPGnet.com (if your distributor has gotten you access) under technical services, training, digital publications. These are not printable versions. Paper copies may also be ordered through UPGnet. The zone jumper is the only change that needs to be made although there are some set up steps that need to be followed also. As stated above, this isn't your daddy's furnace. Get the manual

Post Likes
    Tell Johnstone if they want you to sell that furnace, they need to get you the Technical Training Manual, PRONTO.
    Then read it front to back, and back to front.
    This furnace will turn you upside down if you don't understand why it's doing what it's doing.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    Tell Johnstone if they want you to sell that furnace, they need to get you the Technical Training Manual, PRONTO.
    Then read it front to back, and back to front.
    This furnace will turn you upside down if you don't understand why it's doing what it's doing.
    We informed them of that. Still got no where. Branch mgr blames his boss for the problem. Coleman Factory won't return our calls. Johnstone says they know nothing about getting dealer access to UPG website.

Anybody able to lend a hand or email me a copy?

Post Likes
    I called the branch this morning and had a very frank discussion with mt "go-to guy".

He is going to talk to the outside sales rep and see what he can come up with.

You'd figure he would have been first in line to be contacted.

I'll post back the outcome.

Post Likes
    I called the branch this morning and had a very frank discussion with mt "go-to guy".

He is going to talk to the outside sales rep and see what he can come up with.

You'd figure he would have been first in line to be contacted.

I'll post back the outcome.

Post Likes
    The way that they are stored on UPGnet prevents them from being copied or saved for further distribution. You have to have access or buy a hard copy. The only other way would be to print screen every page of the 200+ some pages... maybe someone can help you out with that... good luck

Post Likes
    As long as your using N.O dampers, no problems with zoning weather or not you disable run 2.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies.

I got no where with Johnstone. Now I'll have to find some other avenue to get the tech manual.

Johnstone just lost some business.

Post Likes
    It is probably because they don't have a dealer program. They basically just buy and sell the equipment. That is what the Johnstones around here do. They aren't very good in terms of support. They are a general parts house, not a distributor. As a consequence, they just aren't set up to support you the way that they should. Johnstones in my area have been responsible for the downfall of some name brands because of the fact that they sell equipment to ANYONE and offer no support or training. As a result, all the hacks buy their equipment from them, that equipment goes in incorrectly, the units do not run the way they should and the brand gets a bad name. The issue of course isn't the equipment but the fact that johnstone is willing to sell to anyone with money and offers no training or support. You should get your equipment from a real distributor instead of a parts house. Of course JS is a franchise and each one is run differently... this does not apply across the board. I know some Johnstones that participate in dealer programs and are very good but that seems to be more of an exception to the rule than the standard. Good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ADillon View Post
    It is probably because they don't have a dealer program. They basically just buy and sell the equipment. That is what the Johnstones around here do. They aren't very good in terms of support. They are a general parts house, not a distributor. As a consequence, they just aren't set up to support you the way that they should. Johnstones in my area have been responsible for the downfall of some name brands because of the fact that they sell equipment to ANYONE and offer no support or training. As a result, all the hacks buy their equipment from them, that equipment goes in incorrectly, the units do not run the way they should and the brand gets a bad name. The issue of course isn't the equipment but the fact that johnstone is willing to sell to anyone with money and offers no training or support. You should get your equipment from a real distributor instead of a parts house. Of course JS is a franchise and each one is run differently... this does not apply across the board. I know some Johnstones that participate in dealer programs and are very good but that seems to be more of an exception to the rule than the standard. Good luck
    Sounds about right based on my level of support I have received.

What particularly troubling is they move a lot of Goodman and they DO provide good support for the Goodman buyers.

Post Likes
    Yeah, they sell goodmam in our area. I don't know why they would do that and i am surprised that two different manufacturers would allow them to sell their equipment. Sounds shady.

Post Likes
    Thanks, Dillion

I would gladly pay for the manual from any helpful forum member with access to UPG.

Uncle Clover would say the same if his Professional posting privileges had no been permanently rescinded.

Post Likes
    Thanks, Dillion

I would gladly pay for the manual from any helpful forum member with access to UPG.

Uncle Clover would say the same if his Professional posting privileges had no been permanently rescinded.

Post Likes
    We have Johnstone here in Huntsville,AL and man did you hit the nail on the head!!!

No customer service after the sale!

I have also found this to be the case for Three States in Jackson,TN..but I was pleasantly suprised with the service from them here in Huntsville.

I guess it all comes down to who they have working there, as with all things customer service is king!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in