Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    http://www.actonenergy.com/for-my-ho...mance-measures

Who is your current electric provider?

What is the Best Rate you can find in the Illinois market?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

http://www.powersmartpricing.org/too...-online-tools/

Can you reduce your electric rate from close to $0.10/ kw to less than $0.05 / kw total delivered with hourly pricing?

Your seem to be spending 41% your total electric bill on Heating & Cooling.
    Your annual bill is about $2,544/ $212 Average monthly.

Use of SEER 15 HSPF 8.6 heat pump may decrease your HEATING operating cost by more than 55%.
    _______ OLD ___ New
    Cooling _$ 350 $ 300
    Heating _$ 700 $ 280
    Base __$ 1,500 _ $1,500
    -Total - $2,500 - $2,080 ... $ 420 less

Let me know if I didn't make some correct assumptions / interpretations
    of your electric bills.

ATTACHMENT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Im comfortable with the HP w/electric back up but if there isnt much of a savings on the bill then I am sure the wifey and two kids would be more comfortable with a gas furnace as the back up for the HP. I just don't want to defeat the whole purpose of upgrading to be lost to gas costs during the summer. If the bill even comes close to being the same at the end of the year I am happy either way we choose. I have a question for Robo or anyone on whether its worth upgrading to the Amana unit instead of the Goodman just for the lifetime unit replacement if the hx or compressor ever fails instead of Goodmans warranty. Hell who knows might go with another Armstrong as its only had one start capacitor go bad in 12 years. The guy who installed the original unit deals American standard (too much for me) Goodman and Armstrong but said he can get Amana too if I would like and the warranty coverage and price is what caught my attention with the Goodman and Amana over the Armstrong at this point. Thanks for the comparison Dan

http://www.powersmartpricing.org/how-it-works/

Can you reduce your electric rate from close to $0.10/ kw to less than $0.06 / kw total delivered with hourly pricing?

http://www.pluginillinois.org/FixedR...ownAmeren.aspx
    Designer Dan

Dual fuel works nice for time of use metering because you can use setbacks without a penalty. I jsut installed a TOU meter and am saving about 10-15% just by running the dishwasher, washing/drying clothes and using a timer on a deep freeze to defer a few hours of operation to off peak. I'll do hte same with the dehumdifier too. I alos switched all my furnace blowers to AUTO during peak periods that I previous left on "Circ" or "low".

The hourly pricing is something I could consider later on but I have looked at it before and didnt like having to be locked in for a year to try it. I dont know, its just something I would have to really think on but for now Im just trying to figure out which HP setup is going to give me a lower bill. Cant make up my mind about dual fuel HP or HP w/electric backup and this tax money is burning a hole in my pocket and if I dont spend it soon the wife and kids will run through it fast. LOL

bump

One more advantage of dual fuel. IF sized correctly, in most climates the HP capacity will be lower than 1st stage capacity on the furnace, so you gain another stage of heating. SO for example a 2 ton heat pump with a 60k BTU furnace would give you 18-27k BTU on the heat pump (depending on outdoor temp) and 1st stage output on the furnace is 37k BTU's. SO in that case, for example, if you homes heat loss was 50k BTU's, and design is 5F, below about 40F, the equipment would be running almost constantly in one of the 3 stages of heat for nice even air temepratures. With just a furnace, it would cycle on and off until it was under 20F. You run time more than doubles, which again, means more even temperatures. A modulating furnace could accomplish the same thing, but the heat pump will save you energy and hedge you against spikes in gas prices. A 2 stage heat pump will go even lower than a modulating furnace. The only thing that can modulate lower is hydronic heat with outdoor reset control.

I am most likely getting a Goodman dszc18 or Amana aszc18 but I am confused on whether I should ask for the CTK01 to 02 or 03 communicating stat for the system or will the system be just as efficient with a standard non comm stat. I dont plan on using any advanced features of the comfortnet stat as im just a set it and forget it kind of guy. I am 99 percent sure Im going to be going dual fuel so thanks for the input guys as its really helped and is appreciated. I cant find any differences in the two systems I have researched other then warranty and the hx in the amana being stainless, am I correct in this? If I buy the Goodman can I put an Amana label on it too flip the bird to my neighbors goodman. J/k

I'd go communicating. Easier to wire up and more features for airflow control. Keep in mind, the smallest of the Goodman/Amana 18 SEER unit is 3 tons.

I thought the secondary heat exchanger in all condensing furnaces were stainless. But I could be wrong.

Not many HVAC mfrs offer lifetime labor warr, nor parts either, for that matter, so if one does offer lifetime parts, isn't that a bonus?

(Not really. You may think that means they will always make that part. they won't. So you end up with paying for an upgraded part down the road. or receiving a small credit toward a new part/unit. Its really just a marketing ploy.)

Im confused after reading this statement by a mod earlier about warranty coverage as I didnt see this exclusion or anything hinting this in the warranty paper work. I have been leaning towards the higher end Amana stuff because of the lifetime condenser and hx warranty being replacement of entire unit if either fail as compared to Goodmans 10 year unit replacement if same fails and after that they will lifetime replace compressor only and hx only not entire unit. But this statement has thrown a monkey wrench in my thought process and made me think of just going with the higher end goodman. Are the ASZC180361A and DSZC180361 the same thing.

Go with the Amana, few nicer parts to it and the warranties cant be beat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12