Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So how many point point point mV is that equal to
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    There is a long list of things that will cause Electromagnetic Interference with thermocouples. Thermistors are less susceptible to EMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tMDMZESC5M
    It seems to me that the magnet from the strap would be no where near the front of the digital gauges. Whould'nt it be attached to the air conditioner? I do agree that you should not wave it infront of the digital gauges, but wit heverything you need to use common sense..

This gives me an Idea. I found some strong magnets in the trash from a speaker and been wondering what I could use them for. I think I am going to try and make a strap. Maybe even something for my meter.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by circus1412 View Post
    It seems to me that the magnet from the strap would be no where near the front of the digital gauges. Whould'nt it be attached to the air conditioner? I do agree that you should not wave it infront of the digital gauges, but wit heverything you need to use common sense..
    These are little magnets and and who knows what a big one would do to the brains of one of these gauges. A magnet strong enough to hold several pounds flapping loose on a strap is going to go where ever it wants.
    I like the magnet idea but maybe something with a clip on the strap so it doesn't get stored with the gauges or something that holds it in a fixed location is a better idea

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    This gives me an Idea. I found some strong magnets in the trash from a speaker and been wondering what I could use them for. I think I am going to try and make a strap. Maybe even something for my meter.
    I remember a friend holding a subwoofer up to his parents tv set when we were younger Oops

maybe Testo should buy into this idea
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Why not just a strap that the hook hangs in. There is no reason why this has to be permently connected to the set of gauges. just a short strap with the magnet on one side and a loop on the other. This is one of those, Why did I not think of that. A strong suction cup would work as well. They type used for handling sheet metal and glass.

Be aware that the control boards used in some equipment don't take kindly to strong magnets in close proximity to them.

On a lot of inverter driven equipment, even the bigger commercial VRV stuff, just sticking a magnetic parts tray to the wrong spot on the cabinet can brick the control board.

The electronics in some cordless screw guns, and I assume some other tools with electronics, don't like magnets either.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    maybe Testo should buy into this idea
    True. I am wondering why this has not been done the the manufactures of gauges in the past. Did just think the hook was good enough? I am sure techs have had to call/write in about the crappy hook. I ordered one so I will check back in when I get it and put it through the motions. On display it seemed great, but field experience will tell the true test..... Just need mother nature to turn the heat up tad. ...

There's a member here who wiped out his laptop hard drive with a combustion analyzer that has built in magnets

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    There's a member here who wiped out his laptop hard drive with a combustion analyzer that has built in magnets
    OWCH!

Somehow my iPhone has survived several instances of having my CA absent mindedly laid down on top of it, and even close contact with my magnetic parts tray.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

i wonder if different types of magnets do less/more harm than other? Ceramic vs rare earth for example. I has been way too many years out of school to remember, but I do recall the teacher saying magnets have different properties ...So mabey it just depends on the type used in the strap.

I have a magnetic carabiner and a strap salvaged from an old tool bag. About 12" long. Haven't experienced any problems with my Digicools.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast