Trane XR15 Compressor noise at startup - your opinion please!

Hello,
    I have a quote from a contractor in The Dallas area for a Single stage Trane XR15 3.5 ton Condensor . I like the Trane and have pretty much confirmed the new fan blade (Swept wing) design on the XR 15 and I'm concerned about the compressor noise when the unit first starts.

Since the unit is direclty below my upstairs bedroom, I'm worried that it may become an issue. I know the sound rating is 75 db and it's quiet when running , but some people are complaining about the initial startup noise on the XR15 saying it's loud and has an annoying buzzzing, has anyone noticed this?

Thanks in adavnace for your input!

A/C or heat pump? Some pumps in heat mode can make a bit of noise on initial start due to large volume of gas needed. Usually don't hear that from an A/C or in cool mode. If the indoor coil is in the attic, the installer looping up the lineset as it leaves the coil can prevent liquid from finding its way to the compressor during the off cycle.

Thanks BaldLoonie...It's just an A/C. If it's just an A/C then should I expect any noise upon starting? Yes....the evaporator coil is in the attic and can you please explain about the installer looping the lineset, so the liquid doesn't find it's way to compressor.

To reduce or avoid liquid flowing from the indoor coil during the off cycle, the installer should run the refrigerant lines, namely the insulated larger line, up out of the coil over the coil then back down to the unit. '

In the early 80s I lived in a 3rd floor apartment and so much liquid returned to the compressor during the off cycle, the slugging made the compressor sound like a machine gun on startup. Luckily compressors were built well in the 70s.

Speaking for someone who has a XR 15 Heat Pump. I can say that it is a quite unit the start up is the loudest part of any unit. Mine sits at back of my home close to master bedroom and I can't hear it start up or shut down the only reason I can tell it is on is from the t-stat clicking to on and air movement.

As a person who has installed a lot of Trane XR 15's, XL 15's systems both are quiet but the XL15 is the quietess by design. It's Trane's quietest single stage a/c or heat pump. So if sound is one of the main concerns look into the XL 15 system you want be sorry. Plus you get 2 extra years of warranty on compressor.