Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hmm Cellulose in Supply Lines?? Must be grabbing from Return Air in Attic?

Hello everyone, I have noticed our home a little bit dusty (quickly) and figured I would pull off a supply register vent and put my finger in there and take a swipe...what did I find the cellulose that I remember when we blew it in. Not much, but enough of it to know what it is, not dust, etc...I had replaced the filter about a month ago, and already I have noticed a few cat balls of insulation in it!

Before we blew in the cellulose, I spent hours in the attic with mastic tape, and foam sealing all cracks and the return air ducts.

Is there a way to pressurize the system (return air in attic) side that could help assist the process of finding the leak a little bit easier?

I am pretty handy, but before I go up and trample all of the cellulose, I would rather have a PRO give me advice if they were in my shoes. What exactly can be done in a situation like this?

I had thought about turning the furnace on to draw return air, then get in the attic and check each duct myself by hand...seems very tedious and non-efficient.

If there is a professional way of doing this, I would prefer to hear it---I would prefer to have a PRO come do the job..unless all they are going to do is do the same thing I had in mind..sorry guys..just frustrated at this point and want health and safety to be a concern as I do not want to breathe in this stuff.

It is important that your return ducts are sealed, and insulating is a great step toward energy efficiency.
    But more important is the filter.
    It needs to be be very tightly sealed. It doesn't do any good to have a filter with lots of air getting around it.
    Is it a 1 inch filter or a media filter?
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2rock View Post
    It is important that your return ducts are sealed, and insulating is a great step toward energy efficiency.
    But more important is the filter.
    It needs to be be very tightly sealed. It doesn't do any good to have a filter with lots of air getting around it.
    Is it a 1 inch filter or a media filter?
    Filter is a 20x20x4 - really tight fit. replaced a month ago, and now i see little cat balls of cellulose in it now

Some types of supply duct leaks can pull air/dust in too.
    If you have an air handler in the attic, with a pull through coil, leaks in the air handler cabinet can pull stuff in too.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Im not sure exactly what you are asking? return air lines are in the attic, furnace supply lines are below house in crawl space (down draft) lennox 95% efficient.

All of the return air lines in attic I sealed with mastic tape but there must be a leak somewhere???

Can i pressurize the system somehow or get a scope of some sort..not sure exactly how to approach this, without just trampling all the insulation and taping blindly

You need a Duct Blaster and a theatrical fogger.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Or talk to an Aeroseal Dealer. Go here. http://www.aeroseal.com/locate-dealer/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    You need a Duct Blaster and a theatrical fogger.
    Contact an energy rater in your area. They will be able to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by dsprice View Post
    Contact an energy rater in your area. They will be able to help you.
    Yup, go here. http://www.bpi.org/tools_locator.asp...iateTypeID=CTR

Dbl post

how reliable is aeroseal?

I am located in Metro Detroit Michigan. The return air ducts were sealed with Nashua UL tape?? Could this be an issue..also, could I use the mastic paste right over this? I guess I'll call a Aeroseal dealer

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.URBRKGfNPag

Very, it is warrantied for 10 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast