Thread: Rheem unit

Rheem unit

I have an issue with this Rheem unit, I need Ideas of poss solutions..The unit is cooling normally like it should but is blowing water through the coil into the supply duct and leaking inside the house, the drain pan is not leaking I opened one of the covers when it was running and I saw water blowing from the evaporator down to the supply duct. Does humidity make the evap create all that water? or the blower is melting all the frost from the evap coil. I have never seen this !! any ideas? thanks for the help.

Spray the coil good with a self rinsing cleaner. Could be that oil on it is causing droplets of water to fly off and not do what they are supposed to do in draining.

How much frost are you seeing?

You may need a trap on your drain line. You can get this problem from dirty filter, dirty coil, poor slope on your drain pan and so on. Just make sure your pan, coil and drain line are clean first. I have had to pull out many Rheem coils to clean the pans.
    www.mcleanair.com

"It was working until it quit."

Fenian.. I could not see any frost on the coil, all I could see was water flying off the evap coil, it is blowing cold air. I am going to check what McLean air is saying that makes sense. thank you all for your help

Does it have enough clear airflow through the duct and good supply and return air?
    I would suggest taking the evap out to get a good look at it and clean it perhaps use the self rinsing cleanser first as suggested above.
    Provided it has a proper trap(not a running trap) and the slope is good, pan, coil and drain line are clean like McLean said, well that would stump me too!
    good luck!

I this a horizontal unit? And if so what brand of coil is it? All i install is rheem equip with Adp coils and if you dont install the supplied drip pan that attaches to the drainpan to catch water blowing off the coil you will get the issue you are having.

X2 for drip pan and crappy duct = high static = water in supply duct

I had a problem like this once before and I had good slope on my pan, pan was clear and free of dirt along the coil. Turns out that the furnace was moving way to much air over the coil. Sounds like you may be moving too much air.

check your air flow you should be running at about 400 cfm per ton of cooling.

Is this an A coil? Ive had one before doing the same thing. that I had to remove the triangle sheet metal on the end of the coil and put some cork insulation tape on the edge and reinstall it and it fixed it. another thought... possible the blow off sheild has fallen down or anything? shouldnt need a p trap unless coil is on negative side of blower.

Quote Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
    I had a problem like this once before and I had good slope on my pan, pan was clear and free of dirt along the coil. Turns out that the furnace was moving way to much air over the coil. Sounds like you may be moving too much air.
    Had the same issue with a rheem up flow and ncoil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Is this a new system or an older system that has just started doing this? Heat pump or furnace with coil. I assume its horizontal in attic. It could be alot of things, but the easiet things to try first is clean coil, could be oily or have sediment build up. If coil is fine sounds like to much airflow.