+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HVAC or Electrical Apprenticeship

Post Likes

HVAC or Electrical Apprenticeship

Hey,
    I'm currently taking a couple of intro HVAC courses @ my local community college. I want to learn this trade and have previous mechanical experience. However, I want some opinions whether I should enroll in an electrical apprentice program (learn while I earn) or continue to try to find a position as an HVAC helper (just starting out). I can likely continue taking HVAC classes as my schedule permits. Is it more advantageous to learn electrical first? I eventually (years from now) want to have my own small business doing electrical and hvac. Any thoughts? Thx

Post Likes
    All I can tell you is you'll learn more about electrical work in HVAC field then you'll learn about HVAC in the electrical field.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post
    All I can tell you is you'll learn more about electrical work in HVAC field then you'll learn about HVAC in the electrical field.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2
    very true......
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

Post Likes
    I know of some electricians making over 100K per year. I don't know any hvac guys making that much.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    I've never met an Electrician making anywhere near $100K/Yr. I've never met a Union Electrician making more than a Union HVACR Tech. Maybe, and it's stretch, a Union Electrician might make more than a non-Union HVACR Tech.

Post Likes
    Around here journeyman electricians are at about 28-35/hr
    Refrigeration/AC guys are about 40-48/hr, both non-union.
    Easy to get around 100k w/ overtime, plus you're not bending conduit and pulling wire all day.

Post Likes
    Are you saying both Electricians and HVACR Techs in your area make over $100K/Yr.?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I know of some electricians making over 100K per year. I don't know any hvac guys making that much.
    I know a bunch including myself. jhunter97 is right. I know firsthand that as long as you are eager to learn (throughout your career) and not afraid to get as many tickets as you can, move around and get as much diversified experience as you can, that down the road you will be able to pretty much write your own ticket (command your salary relative to the market). Once you've proven well in the field then poject management and general management will be an option sooner or later.
    If a day went by without a problem - there'ld be a problem.

Post Likes
    Union represented Linemen working for the utilities can make over 100K. HVAC guys in this area top out at 70K. Union service techs in the fitters union will make 80K with overtime.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    That sounds real good. Here Union SJm Electricians are $13/Hr less than Union SJm HVACR Techs. I don't know about any electrical utilities lineman though. Do you work for SBT?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    Well I do. Every single journeyman in Seattle is making at least 110k a year. And they work as much as they want. As for the electricians, they seem to be on the bench unless the construction is booming

Post Likes
    A lot can change in almost 2 years since this thread started.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    A lot can change in almost 2 years since this thread started.
    Tommy that. Depends a lot on company and background. Union or non union. I just saw and felt the random need to comment.

Post Likes
    With the current scale at our local, if you get full time all year, it is just over 110k.

Post Likes
    Electrical? Or tinners? Or fitters?

I know s lot of ibew guys that work 1/2-2/3 of the year. Do not gross 100k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    local 32 service techs, fitters are just a little higher. And yes thats if you work all the time.

Post Likes
    I agree with the general consensus of this thread. Both trades are valuable and demand for the services are consistently there. But I think the sooner you start learning the ins and outs of the electrical field, the better. It'll cover HVAC, so you'll get a familiarity with it, then you can expand upon that later. We need more eco-friendly electricians in Eugene, Oregon like the gals at Balanced Electric (balanced-electric.com)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in