+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Manometer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Digital Manometer

I know this has been discussed before. Was wondering which digital manometer you guys like better. Pros and cons between Testo 510 and Fieldpiece SDMN5. Any others you liked to add to the mix also. I did search it but I am trying to condense it here. Maybe Jim Bergman from TruTech could chime in since he gets to play with a lot of different ones. Thanks.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    From my research I am going with Testo 510 from $ stand point and from review's. I still use my YJ gauge one cause I'm OldSchool like that. I have used the UEI one that the company owns but I wouldn't buy it.

Post Likes
    I have one dislike of the 510 manometer...it rotates on the magnet when you move the hoses around. Other wise I have no
    complaints over it.

I also have UEI differential manometer (would it surprise you to know the sensors in the 510 and the UEI are almost identical in quality and accuracy).

I sometimes favor the UEI due to it's larger magnet.

The 510 range is -40"wc to +40"wc, giving the UEI a slight edge on accuracy since it's range is in the single digits.

Can't tell when compared side by side in a test.

Post Likes
    Nothing else? Was hoping for a little more. Especially from guys who used them both. Can they both do the same thing? If not, what are the differences.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    The Testo 510, no question.
    The Fieldpiece isn't in the same league when it comes to accuracy.

The Testo 510 has three accuracy ranges, depending on the pressure range being measured.
    Low Range Accuracy: 3 Pa (0 to 30 Pa) or 0.01 inH2O (0 to 0.12 inH2O)
    Mid Range Accuracy: 5 Pa (31 to 100 Pa) or 0.02 inH2O (0.13 to 0.40 inH2O)
    Rest of Range Accuracy: 10 Pa +1.5% of reading or 0.04 inH2O +1.5% of reading

Notice that they are all 3 +/- of the reading, and down in the low pressure ranges it is a very fine degree of accuracy, fine enough to do rough room to room pressure balance testing.

The Fieldpice is a solidly built instrument, but its accuracy rating is +/- 1.5% of FULL SCALE, and it has a 60" WC scale.
    That means that, worst case, it could potentially be off by as much as 0.9"WC, and still be within its stated accuracy range.

The UEI meter hvac5646 mentionedhas two accuracy ranges.
    ±0.02”WG < 2”WG
    ±1%RDG > 2”WG

Right there in the same league as the Testo, unlike the Fieldpiece.

The Teso 510 only runs about $30 more than the UEI EM201.
    IMO, well worth it for the extra accuracy, and very compact size.
    The 510, a couple of static pressure tips, tubing, step drill bit, hole plugs, and gas pressure tap access tools/fittings, will all fit easily in a travel size shaving kit pouch.

The Fieldpiece one isn't even worth considering.

Of course, if you want a seriously high degree of accuracy at low pressure ranges, for airflow and building pressure diagnostics, you will need to bust out 3 or 4 or 10 more $100 bills.
    Micromanometers are are not exactly every day tool bag tools though.

Post Likes
    I have both the 510 and the fieldpiece
    The testo fits in my bag it's way smaller the field piece is the backup.

Post Likes
    I chose the Testo for accuracy also... however the small size is nice. One has to keep lots of tools in their van... along with lots of parts... Nice for each tool to not take more space than is necessary...

I keep my Testo 327 combustion analyzer in its case, and have a old FP single port manometer head w/base in the box for setting gas valves. Nice to not have to fish out the 510 when using the CA unit.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I keep my Testo 327 combustion analyzer in its case, and have a old FP single port manometer head w/base in the box for setting gas valves. Nice to not have to fish out the 510 when using the CA unit.
    I don't know if the Testo CA case has room for it, but the little static/gas pressure test kit I put together with a 510 + accessories in a shaving kit case, fits in the case with my Bacharach Insight.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I don't know if the Testo CA case has room for it, but the little static/gas pressure test kit I put together with a 510 + accessories in a shaving kit case, fits in the case with my Bacharach Insight.
    I am kinda new to CA... learned the basics from Jim Davis last Dec (2011, a year ago)... Well, learned how to start learning... IMO this is one of those things one needs LOTS of experience at. I suspect after a re-cert class or two (every 2 years), I will start figuring out the subtle details.

The 327 case has enough room for the CA unit, probe, printer, charger, etc... the old style FP manometer and a Dwyer draft gauge. Probably could put a few more things in there... however this is all I need...
    Oh yeah, I have a stubby standard and cross style screwdrivers in the box... to adjust gas valves.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I have the SDMN5, and have had it for some time. I had to buy a new one a while back, because I threw a screwdriver in my bag without looking nor thinking, and then a split second later, cringed and looked down. Damn, right into the LCD.
    The main issue is the constant resetting of the individual readings. I will find it drift quite often, but the differential reading always remains fairly constant. I test it quite often against my water tube and 1" total scale magnehelic.
    Never had a problem with the accuracy when using the differential reading though.
    I did have to give away the spare hose connector bibs that I had from my spare parts one. It seems some of my fellow techs had a habit breaking them off. I never had a problem with that though.
    IF you do have a problem with it, the customer service is pretty great! They typically send out spare parts in a snap, if you should happen to have an issue. No questions no hassles!
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    The main issue is the constant resetting of the individual readings. I will find it drift quite often, but the differential reading always remains fairly constant.
    That will be an issue with any digital manometer. The sensor drift is caused a change in temperature of the instrument. The greater the difference between the instrument temperature and ambient, the faster the temperature change and sensor drift.
    Some have built in compensation for temperature change, but even the best ones will still have sensor drift to some extent.

Post Likes
    I have an old school Yellow Jacket mano, I am looking to buy a new one.
    Does anyone know the accuracy of the old school type verses the digital?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ComfortService View Post
    I have an old school Yellow Jacket mano, I am looking to buy a new one.
    Does anyone know the accuracy of the old school type verses the digital?
    What do you mean by "old school type?"

Post Likes
    Digital new school

Analog OldSchool

Post Likes
    Is there a digital mano still made in America?

Fluke perhaps?

Post Likes

Fluke perhaps?
    Dwyer still is ....but they won't win any contest for stylish design.

17. Likes wilejoe liked this post.
    Post Likes

Fluke perhaps?
    Yellow Jacket 78052
    Made in the USA

Post Likes
    I read where fluke was designed in USA but made in China.

Post Likes
    Another thumbs up for the testo 510... Super accurate and compact.

Post Likes
    My dwyer is old and still works fine, and i do not care what it looks like.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

22. Likes wilejoe liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in