Hybrid View

This house heats hard was the customers first statement.

Went out to do an estimate for this customer, they have an old stone farm house, receieved an estimate for a new furnace for about half what I quoted, the other company was just going to change out the furnace and reconnect everything as it is here. The customer thought it would be ok though they said this house heats really hard, it was not difficult to see why! I am surprised the furnace worked as long as it did, the high limit should have been tripping constantly by looking at the duct work and the 2 8" returns!
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Whoever did that needs a hard boot in the keester.
    Nothing is magic, it works or doesn't work for a reason.

Pathetic.

The guy that is just going to change out the furnace will get the job. Anyone that would accept something as bad as that will never pay more for a quality install, no matter how much money they would save or how quickly they saved it.

I especially like all the scuzz running out of the PVC vent fittings. Black usually means that is sooting up? And that the fittings aren't cemented?

If it isn't in Massachusetts (where CO detectors are a requirement with the install), I would give then a free CO hard wired CO detector with the install if i got the job. Just to cover my ass.

lol. On an NUGK no less.

Damn. Even the old Heils I find in 'hood basements around here don't usually look *that* gross.

I like how the furnace has become part of the ground over time!

Well I found out this week that I didnt get the bid on replacing this furnace, they had a house fire this week the house is completely gone except for the walls which were stone. They had 2 kerosene heaters in the kitchen and an electric heater going when I was there for the estimate! The fire report stated that they had 2 kerosene heaters and some other type of heater thawing out frozen pipes, when the tennants went to town for an hour or so for lunch! I cannot believe someone would leave the house unattended with these types of heaters going! It is sad to hear their house was destroyed, but a little common sense goes a long way!!

Turns out you weren't the most expensive option.
    It's terrible they lost everything but its like continuing to drive a car with brakes that are bad, you can't be surprised when you slam into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddbrewster View Post
    when the tennants went to town for an hour or so for lunch!
    Was this a tenant at the house and a landlord that wasn't making the repair?

No, the people who lived here owned the home, they bought it 6 years ago as it was, had no clue the furnace was a disaster! They had been without heat for a few weeks.