Heater Blows Cold Air

I've got a Trane YCC42F Combination Cooling/Gas Heat HVAC unit. Worked fine all last winter (my first winter in this home) and this winter up until last night. We woke this morning to a heater blowing cold air and a house in the mid-50's degrees.

The unit is located on my roof. I turned off the thermostat in the house, went up, opened the unit, and had my wife turn the heat on while I was at the unit.

The fan comes on, but I get no other action. No gas flow, no electric ignitor clicking, no flames.

Is there a simple solution to this or do I need to call a tech?

Welcome to the site. Unfortunately there is no simple solution and the best advice is to call a reputable company and have them send a technician.

Could be a simple fix or a major problem. Note any error codes that you can decipher, and call a tech, one that is NATE certified for gas service if possible.
    "If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    efficientcomfort.net

There is a safety circuit which contains both auto-reset and manual-reset switches. It sounds like one of the manual type has opened, or one of the auto type has opened and failed to reset.
    The manual reset type are used in situations where there is likely to be a more serious problem that caused the switch to open. So I would highly recommend that you call for service. You should not attempt to solve this problem yourself, as the unit could be unsafe to operate.

Thank you all. Contacting Tech now, I appreciate the quick responses!

More on NATE certification,
    Experienced and well trained technicians aren't always NATE certified and they don't have to be to do a top notch job. But a lesser experienced tech who is certified has proven his ability by passing the NATE test.
    "If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    efficientcomfort.net

Your gas hasn't been turned off has it??? Just a thought,never know.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Quote Originally Posted by acefurnacefixer View Post
    Nate is nothing more then a sales ploy, a reason for your boss who is already filthy rich to charge even more, all the while still paying you a sub standard wage. Nate tells the contractor that when customers call in *****ing about why there bill is so high, he is to tell them that NATE TECHNICIANS are worth more, and cost more to employ, gee who pays for all that testing and books? Sure as hell not your rich boss.A good 15 to 20 year tech can run circles around a nate tech, no matter how many stripes he has up and down his arm.

Whoa Mr. Ace - before you throw the baby out with the bath water....

Have you "walked a mile in the bosses shoes"?

Have you ever seen the P&L?

Would it surprise you to find out HE has all the liability & as a industry norm manages to keep a whooping .05$ of every dollar he collects on average.

There are good bosses & bad ones... amazingly, there are good employees and bad ones.

If you're really that passionate - ask the boss if you can be a better business partner - I'll bet between the two of you, you can improve the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by acefurnacefixer View Post
    Nate is nothing more then a sales ploy, a reason for your boss who is already filthy rich to charge even more, all the while still paying you a sub standard wage. Nate tells the contractor that when customers call in *****ing about why there bill is so high, he is to tell them that NATE TECHNICIANS are worth more, and cost more to employ, gee who pays for all that testing and books? Sure as hell not your rich boss.A good 15 to 20 year tech can run circles around a nate tech, no matter how many stripes he has up and down his arm.
    After reading what you have written on this and another forum you are DANGEROUS. And what's up with having people on these forums e-mailing directly? Just how many years experience do you have.

I've worked with plenty of guys that say they don't need NATE or any other certification because they have years of experience. Yea, years of experience of ****ing up! Man I get tired of cleaning up after you BOZOS!

NATE Doesn't mean all that

North American Technical Exellence, Another word for money scam.
    So if I write a few fancy tests, design an attractive logo, or toss some peanuts to all the monkeys, hey I can open my own Nate Cert. Exam School
    BullyShat!!!!!!!!!
    This is to the brother that is ALMIGHTy NATE certified
    So WHAT
    wow you or your preda. decided to pay a private inst. a great deal of cash
    to take a nate certification test.
    You could have a hundred and fifty NATE certifications but one simple screw up and you or your company are going under
    NATE is not the answer my friend. Choose a well known company in the area and have a tech come out.
    Nate is a difficult test and those who take and pass it should be commended.
    But being a student @ MIT I have seen others take difficult tech manuals memorize them and be able to take on any test here on earth!!

As techs we are wired different. Most of the good techs I know would relish the opportunity to put a patch on their arm that put them above the rest. I thought I was an amazing tech, with 13 years of experience and plenty of certifications and classes. Until I found out that most of my on the job training and hands on experience was void of true technical expertise. Nate is a valuable tool to separate yourself from other techs, and only makes you worth more. Quit your job if you don't like your boss, get Nate certified and get a huge pay raise with the new company you sign on with. I am not Nate certified, but I do see its value to me and my employer.

Thumbs down Nate Certified

I really git sick of hearing about N.A.T.E. technicians being smart and better than everyone else.

Nate technician 2006 call no/heat American Standard (2)stage 80% Furnace

Technician comes out and determined that the HSI module was bad and replaced it under warranty. He wired the board(revised) and wired condenser to Y-R and could not understand why no a/c.So he goes to thermostat and tells customer that stat is bad.
    This is (2) stage so thermostat is also two stage so he replaced it with (1) stage thermostat, and can't get it working either.Back feed through board on Y circuit.

Customer happens to be friend of mines daughter, so I drop by on lunch break , re-wire terminal board and hook up green on single stage thermostat, and set-dip switches to proper tonnage and cfm. Run through heat cycle and check to insure a/c cycle works also.

I will return this weekend to install (2) stage thermostat.

Did this in 30 minutes or so.So you can jump up and down about NATE all you want,but don't make statements about others on this forum that work for a living and don't need to be certified Nate to perform simple repairs.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Quote Originally Posted by aircooled53 View Post
    So you can jump up and down about NATE all you want,but don't make statements about others on this forum that work for a living and don't need to be certified Nate to perform simple repairs.
    Are you talking to me?