Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Anthony what do you mean will take time to get used to? I put two sensor on pipe two hoses bam pressures and SH SC. No?

I guess I know what my problem is I'm afraid it will break and ill hear the I told ya!

How fragile is a DC for real life? Can it handle Canada cold -25 ?
    on the digi cools that handles are on the front 1/4 turn alot faster and better. your used to turning it several turns. also since they are on the front you will be reaching on the sides looking for the handles even though they are in your face. thses are things that got me. im just speaking from my experience.
    also since analog is all i knew i was was so used to seeing the needle move around now i dont see the needle you see the digital number show up. sometimes ill forget to change the refrigerant type, these are all basic things that you will get used to but once ive used them several times you get better at it. at first they were a pain because i wasnt used to all the functions. it will take me time to read all the numbers and see whats going on. but in the end i prefer the digitals. they are more accurate, i always bought all my own tools. most companies supply you with some chinese bullsh*t then when it breaks they get upset and talk crap. i rather not hear there mouth so i try to buy quality tools myself.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
    Haha, I've been wondering the same thing, and the point of it.
    My self included.

I'm also looking to buy a digital set of gauges. Based on the little research I have done, I'm liking the sman3 or even the possibility of the sman4. The main reason is the builtin micron gauge. But, I like the price and rugged all weather features of the digicool. My question is: is the micron gauge a worthwhile feature? Or, is it simpler to just use a separate micron gauge?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    I'm also looking to buy a digital set of gauges. Based on the little research I have done, I'm liking the sman3 or even the possibility of the sman4. The main reason is the builtin micron gauge. But, I like the price and rugged all weather features of the digicool. My question is: is the micron gauge a worthwhile feature? Or, is it simpler to just use a separate micron gauge?
    Always use a separate micron gauge. Either a BluVac or a JB DV22N (?model).

You can evac thru your manifold but make sure you use vac rated hoses and CRT (appion or C&Ds). It takes longer but if you are inclined to use the manifold make sure it is tight and be prepared to wait a while to reach ultimate vac level.

Ok so seems like everyone thinks it's not crazy to go that route instead of the other way.

With all out honesty how many digi cool owners have had to fix get warranty or not be able to use them etc.

I just don't wanna hear I told ya so " shiny toy broke waste of $ analogs wouldn't do that" I have seen all the " torture vids" but want to hear it from you guys.

I'm there gonna go digi-cool with a YJ mani. What is the sensors to get? I know they had a bad batch this is fixed now?
    I live in Canada so I'd order direct.
    I'll shoot you a straight up answer.

I like some of FP products, I've had a good run with their scale. So when I looked into digital gauges in 2011 I decided to go with the SMAN2.

I had multiple issues, each time the customer service was top notch but I had significant down time and in less than a year I was on my third one, another coworker had to have his replaced as well within a year. Here's some of the problems.

Low side stuck on OL
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359931741.485602.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  31.6 KB
    High side stuck in a vacuum and it's reading microns with both valves open and hoses unhooked
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359931790.531529.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  42.9 KB
    All of the ones I've seen in the field cracked in the same spot
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359931857.588810.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  27.3 KB

I've had the DC's for 8 months and no down time, I used them in a down pour I wouldn't have used any other digitals in, had to use my finger like a windshield wiper, still no problems.

It's(DC) better designed, easier to use and more reliable than the others, my coworker with the testo 510 has had some issues with his high side not letting refrigerant through.

I actually prefer the manifold that came with it more than any other I've used. I did take a file and knock down the edges they left when they machined it.

Notice that ALL the info needed is on the screen at the same time, no cycling through like the others.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359932319.879836.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  57.7 KB

So in my opinion it's the DC's as the best overall choice and you can keep your analogs as backup if you're worried, I don't have any backup except extra batteries in the van.

I'm also in the market for a set of digitals soon. The SMAN's are in my lead, but the DC's are slowly coming close

Another vote for the ak-900. The 550's I had started to have problems with the manifold but other than that it wasn't a bad tool.

Northstarair why are you going with FP digital gauges? I have been doing alot of research and my choices are Dc,Testo, FP

Why do you like FP the best?
    Carrier just started to carry FP tools in Toronto .
    The problem I have is I wanna try them or at least hold the dang product. I had a nice member offer to meet up but he was 3 hours away ;(.
    I would play with my DC on my own AC to get the hang of them

Ok so seems like everyone thinks it's not crazy to go that route instead of the other way.

With all out honesty how many digi cool owners have had to fix get warranty or not be able to use them etc.

I just don't wanna hear I told ya so " shiny toy broke waste of $ analogs wouldn't do that" I have seen all the " torture vids" but want to hear it from you guys.

I'm there gonna go digi-cool with a YJ mani. What is the sensors to get? I know they had a bad batch this is fixed now?
    I live in Canada so I'd order direct.
    Let's see.

In 3 years, I broke a temp sensor. Yes, only 1. DC replaced it immediately.

I also had a transducer fail in the AK-900. I will say that I beat the ever-loving H**L out of this manifold as it was a Beta test unit. It was thrown around (quite literally THROWN) to prove to several people the durability and reliability of the instrument.

Even though the instrument was WELL out of anything resembling warranty, Doug and Brenda shipped me a new transducer no charge.

I also requested and received an EEPROM chip to upgrade my 1200 and add R407a to the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanH View Post
    Haha, I've been wondering the same thing, and the point of it.
    I believe that is Doug Lockhart. The point is to show the strength of the DC case. I thought that was obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Always use a separate micron gauge. Either a BluVac or a JB DV22N (?model).

You can evac thru your manifold but make sure you use vac rated hoses and CRT (appion or C&Ds). It takes longer but if you are inclined to use the manifold make sure it is tight and be prepared to wait a while to reach ultimate vac level.
    I would mostly agree here. The micron gauges included with most DMG sets aren't very accurate. I believe that SMAN says that theirs isn't even accurate enough for field service work.

I wouldn't agree on evacuating through a manifold. I don't think it's a good practice.

Northstarair why are you going with FP digital gauges? I have been doing alot of research and my choices are Dc,Testo, FP

Why do you like FP the best?
    Carrier just started to carry FP tools in Toronto .
    The problem I have is I wanna try them or at least hold the dang product. I had a nice member offer to meet up but he was 3 hours away ;(.
    I would play with my DC on my own AC to get the hang of them
    It's the only thing I've actually been able to see in use. That's what most, if not all people, who have digi gauges in the company have. It's also the easiest to get around here. And the other fieldpiece instruments I have, I like very much.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I believe that SMAN says that theirs isn't even accurate enough for field service work.
    You've repeated that several times but I don't know why any FP rep would have stated anything resembling that. The listed specs (in the relevant range) are: Accuracy: 10% or 10 microns, whichever is greater (50 to 1000 microns).

Doesn't look to bad to me. I've tested it (my set) against a couple of other micron gauges and it didn't differ much in reading. Those were an Inficon and a YJ. The YJ specs for that range are: Accuracy: +/- 20% of reading. For the Pilot the specs are:< 20,000 microns: +/- 5%. The SMAN rates somewhere between those two, how accurate should it be before it's fit to use in the field?

The feature that sold me, initially, on the DC is the bar graph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHL51J0LMI

this video is nice because it show it with and without the bar graph.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    You've repeated that several times but I don't know why any FP rep would have stated anything resembling that. The listed specs (in the relevant range) are: Accuracy: 10% or 10 microns, whichever is greater (50 to 1000 microns).

Doesn't look to bad to me. I've tested it (my set) against a couple of other micron gauges and it didn't differ much in reading. Those were an Inficon and a YJ. The YJ specs for that range are: Accuracy: +/- 20% of reading. For the Pilot the specs are:< 20,000 microns: +/- 5%. The SMAN rates somewhere between those two, how accurate should it be before it's fit to use in the field?
    I remember reading this somewhere. I'm looking for the source.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast