Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 73
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,088

    Digital gauges Two birds one stone?

    So thinking ahead to AC season and needing some expensive tools. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck. When I told my boss that I was gonna buy a digi-cool cause I need 410 gauges and temp sensor and a red box cooper and gauges is around the same price. I got the don't waste your money on a toy what do you guys think?

    I was told buy gauges and use my sensor on my $100 amp probe meter. I understand it works and is the best $ option but is a set of digital gauges better than "OldSchool" methods I have said it before I have never seen someone with digital gauges in my travels. I hope it's not like just wanting a Bigfoot for a pet.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    2,591
    If you get a set of digi-cools, smans, or testos you will wonder why you waited this long.

    Personally I would recommend the DC's, I've owned the sman as well but the DC's are better and feel more solid.

    Here's a pic of them in use on Friday.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359871310.229220.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  48.6 KB
    Here's some pics of the modded sensors I use, with no problems for a year. I just added the clamps.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359871368.291282.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  70.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359871425.629706.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  59.5 KB

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,367
    Glad I made the move to digital. I also had to mod clamps to work with the ak900 but I think I seen someone mention in a thread they are now available for the ak900.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    2,591
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    Glad I made the move to digital. I also had to mod clamps to work with the ak900 but I think I seen someone mention in a thread they are now available for the ak900.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I looked it up and they are available in scissor clamp form... For an extra $130!

    Mine came with the thicker black stretch velcro sensors and I added the clamps for $10.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,998
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    So thinking ahead to AC season and needing some expensive tools. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck. When I told my boss that I was gonna buy a digi-cool cause I need 410 gauges and temp sensor and a red box cooper and gauges is around the same price. I got the don't waste your money on a toy what do you guys think?

    I was told buy gauges and use my sensor on my $100 amp probe meter. I understand it works and is the best $ option but is a set of digital gauges better than "OldSchool" methods I have said it before I have never seen someone with digital gauges in my travels. I hope it's not like just wanting a Bigfoot for a pet.
    I got the same line of crap from my boss about 3 years ago when I bought my DC 1200.

    Being a stubborn cuss, I did it anyway.

    Funny thing. After seeing and working with my DC a little, he bought himself an AK-900.

    DO IT! You'll wonder why you waited so long. Seriously.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cleveland
    Posts
    589
    I was stubborn and said I would never spend the money on digital gauges. I said they are for the young kids that can't do math for superheated and sub cooling, or read a pt charts. Well I finally broke down and bought the sman 3 last year and don't know how I ever worked without them. I really like the idea that the digi cools can be in a downpour and be ok but I liked the look of the sman better. Also no supply houses sell the digi cools locally here and I wanted to buy them on the company account.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    miami,fl.
    Posts
    578
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    So thinking ahead to AC season and needing some expensive tools. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck. When I told my boss that I was gonna buy a digi-cool cause I need 410 gauges and temp sensor and a red box cooper and gauges is around the same price. I got the don't waste your money on a toy what do you guys think?

    I was told buy gauges and use my sensor on my $100 amp probe meter. I understand it works and is the best $ option but is a set of digital gauges better than "OldSchool" methods I have said it before I have never seen someone with digital gauges in my travels. I hope it's not like just wanting a Bigfoot for a pet.
    i purchased the ak-900 digi cools like 3 months ago the velcro temp probes were a pain for me and i would get frustrated if it wasnt tight on the the pipes so i purchased the temp. clamps alot better. i must warn you! your so used to analog gages that operating them and checking sh, sc became 2nd nature . when i switched to digital gages it was more complicated. its a change you will have to get used to, but once you learn how to operate the digitals its so much easier, faster. i recommend the ak-900.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,088
    Anthony what do you mean will take time to get used to? I put two sensor on pipe two hoses bam pressures and SH SC. No?

    I guess I know what my problem is I'm afraid it will break and ill hear the I told ya!

    How fragile is a DC for real life? Can it handle Canada cold -25 ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,998
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    Anthony what do you mean will take time to get used to? I put two sensor on pipe two hoses bam pressures and SH SC. No?

    I guess I know what my problem is I'm afraid it will break and ill hear the I told ya!

    How fragile is a DC for real life? Can it handle Canada cold -25 ?
    It takes a while to get accustomed to watching the DC bar graph rather than the dials move and to reading the digital display.

    The bar graph is more accurate than analogs any day of the week.

    The DC is plenty tough. I've used it from -15 to +105 without problems. Well, batteries are a problem in the cold no matter WHAT instrument you put them in.






  10. #10
    I still don't understand if this product is so good why a national chain supplier has not picked it up.

    Is it a cult following or something similar to that?

    Who is the elderly gentleman beating the Bejhezeus out of an empty plastic case?

  11. #11
    [QUOTE=hvac5646;15144891]I still don't understand if this product is so good why a national chain supplier has not picked it up.

    Is it a cult following or something similar to that?

    Who is the elderly gentleman beating the Bejhezeus out of an empty plastic case?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,998
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    I still don't understand if this product is so good why a national chain supplier has not picked it up.

    Is it a cult following or something similar to that?

    Who is the elderly gentleman beating the Bejhezeus out of an empty plastic case?
    I can buy a cheap junk knife at any hardware store or walmart.

    If I want a good one, sometimes, I have to look elsewhere.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I can buy a cheap junk knife at any hardware store or walmart.

    If I want a good one, sometimes, I have to look elsewhere.
    That does not relate to my question what so ever.

    You mind expanding your response so that it more directly and clearly corresponds to my inquiry?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event