Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Thanks, Hurt. There are videos of the Cream reunion on Youtube. The songs are all slower than the recorded versions but they still drive. The videos inspired me to try to get my band to play Toad.

I took a lesson from the college drum prof two weeks ago. He suggested I play along with some jazz recordings and focus on just the ride cymbal to make all the beats a consistent volume. It's been a long time since I did a "play along" but it really helps me make my accompanyment smoother and more comfortable for the lead players. Practicing is almost as much fun as playing out.

So - what do you guys practice? Is there a drum book you enjoy working in? Any patterns that you're digging currently?

I'm working on 5's. rlrrl repeat. Start on beat 4 and you'll land on 1 after 5 beats.
    I also like Steve Smith's video lesson from a few years ago. I like his analysis and I can't help but admire his relaxed, smooth form.
    I have the DVD. Sorry - I accidently misled you. I'm a solo six stringer who barely has time to play anymore. But I could still find my way through few Cream and Blind Faith numbers no matter how bad my hands hurt.

Where's Neal Peart? John Bohnam? Charlie Watts? Interesting thing about Charlie Watts is that he has a jazz background, had his own jazz band, maybe still does, and drums for a rock band. Ever notice how "dis-interested" he always looks in the video's?

All three were on the list we pulled up. Just watched Rush in Rio again the other weekend and was amazed anew at the talent level of those three guys. Never understood why many did not care for Rush. Peart is a stick twirling/tossing genious.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345