Reversing Valve Education

Yesterday I replaced a compressor on a 4 ton Trane heat pump (R22). Compressor had an open winding... anyway the change out went relatively smooth however I was only getting about a 10 degree split at the registers when I was done. Let it run a while and the split went to about 1 degree... WTF? Went back and checked the gauges and had about 95 on low side and 125 on high side. put temp clamp on the reversing valve and got the temps shown in the second pic so I suspect the reversing valve is bad as well.
    I don't deal with heat pumps too much so I am looking for a second opinion and maybe an education on troubleshooting reversing valves.. Ambient was about 60 and compressor was pulling about 8-10 amps.

Name:  IMG_0351.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  61.4 KBName:  Temps.png
Views: 175
Size:  12.5 KB

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/don...e-outsmart-you

Read this article. It is very helpful. Remember to check the solenoid first. If the solenoid is working, move onto the steps in the article.

Yep, I have heard of liquid flood back but have only came up on failed solenoids and locked up RV's

Wow, thats such a good article on RV's I mailed it to myself! Thanks brent.

Looks to me, with the temps you provided you have a bad rv. It is stuck in between positions, you can try to disconnect the condenser fan and try to run head pressure to 350-400 , energize and de-energize the coil, sometimes this works sometimes not.