+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buyer's Remorse

Post Likes

Buyer's Remorse

All fittings were coated first with vacuum grease, then with Nylog. Same results. Beginning to think I should just listen for the sound of the pump to change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzUn8lU3LCM
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't have to worry about any of that if I did that test in my kitchen.....the wife would probably throw it all way!!

Post Likes
    Too tight on the knobs otherwise everything looks normal.
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    can't read the fieldpiece meter on the screen......what are you demonstrating? are you using a cylinder, or just gauges connected to pump?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    can't read the fieldpiece meter on the screen......what are you demonstrating? are you using a cylinder, or just gauges connected to pump?
    Sorry about the poor quality video, fellas. I had just recently made two purchases. I bought the Appion MegaFlo rig, the Fieldpiece AVG2 Micron Head, and a spare set of Appion hoses from a friend of mine who is retiring. The BlueVac micron gage was used as a Control Value. The Appion rig was never in doubt. I had intended to verify how accurate the AVG2 was.

What I saw was very, very disappointing. First, the BlueVac and AVG2 read dramatically different. Which one was more accurate, I can't determine with my set-up. Second, when I valved off one side of the Appion rig or the other, vacuum was lost. Quickly.

My conclusion is either BOTH micron gages have leaks, or the Appion hoses are not really all that special after all. Either way, I've just taken a fair bite out of my over-time money for tools I'm no longer convinced I can trust.

Should've put that money into hardwood flooring for the kids' rooms.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Post Likes
    Couple things that I've picked up in reading threads here, and it makes sense if you think about it.

#1. New hoses may require a bit of "break in". I can't remember exactly the why to this.

#2. The internal volume of your test rig might be too small for an accurate test. A very small internal volume makes ANY leak a big leak. It's typically suggested to retry the test on a recovery cylinder.

Post Likes
    All hoses have a "gassing" factor that has to be taken into consideration. Run the system for a longer period of time with less connections and I'd bet you will get entirely different results.

Or, if you are really dissapointed I'd give you 25 beans for that BluVac guage so you could get some of your money back.

Besides, you most likely will never read this post cause if I was your wife (try splaining that to your kids) I'd have already stored your body in the freezer for putting that stuff on the counter.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    I didn't watch the entire video, but you are not the first person to freak out after trying to test their evacuation equipment with just hoses and a manifold hooked up.

Do the test again, but pulling a vacuum on a recovery cylinder.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    All hoses have a "gassing" factor that has to be taken into consideration. Run the system for a longer period of time with less connections and I'd bet you will get entirely different results.

Or, if you are really dissapointed I'd give you 25 beans for that BluVac guage so you could get some of your money back.

Besides, you most likely will never read this post cause if I was your wife (try splaining that to your kids) I'd have already stored your body in the freezer for putting that stuff on the counter.
    i'll give you 26
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I didn't watch the entire video, but you are not the first person to freak out after trying to test their evacuation equipment with just hoses and a manifold hooked up.

Do the test again, but pulling a vacuum on a recovery cylinder.
    I have done the test with a cylinder, new hoses, Nylog, BluVac and Appion CRTs and been nothing but disappointed.
    I also tried it on 2 new installs with similarly disappointing results.
    I am not sure of the results either.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Are you trying to hold the vacuum with the hoses attached?

Post Likes
    Yes. I was trying to prove vacuum on my pump, hose rig, and micron gages. Was not hooked up to a tank or system.

Post Likes
    You have a lot of stuff connected there, try eliminating things until you find what is leaking.

Post Likes
    Not going to happen. Bigger hoses and better quality stuff is going to speed things up IMO. If someone finds hoses that will hold a vacuum that would be a great find. I might feel remorse from the manifold purchase but you shouldn't with the hoses. If you didn't have bigger ones already it is going to speed up the job. If you rig your rig for isolation of the hoses, manifold and pump on a real system you should be much happier with what you have there. If you plan on following the "rules" to the letter you will be happier listening to the pump. If you know your pump I believe its a good indication of how you're doing. Start on a MO system then go to a poe system if you want to be disappointed again

Post Likes
    You have a lot of stuff connected there, try eliminating things until you find what is leaking.
    Mark do you have a BluVac? He would have to eliminate everything there

Post Likes
    What is the purpose of a manifold like that when a simple tee will do? You should have valves at the service ports that can be used to isolate the system and vacuum gauge from the pump and hoses. Seems to me you are just adding leak points unnecessarily.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Mark do you have a BluVac? He would have to eliminate everything there
    No, I've been using a Yellow Jacket 69075, and vacuum tree, since 2007, haven't seen the need to buy a new vacuum gauge.

I do wish my 13 year old vacuum pump would die, so I'd have an excuse to make my boss buy me a TEZ8 though.

Post Likes
    No, I've been using a Yellow Jacket 69075, and vacuum tree, since 2007, haven't seen the need to buy a new vacuum gauge.

I do wish my 13 year old vacuum pump would die, so I'd have an excuse to make my boss buy me a TEZ8 though.
    We could probably arrange the death of your pump....for the right price.

Post Likes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_6iOKzAuDA

Check out my crappy vid. It will give you some info and show you a few popular Gauges installed on the same system..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in