2008 York issues

Has anyone else come across a bunch of problems on York heat pumps from ~June '08? It just seems like as of late I've come across unit after unit installed during that time period that just has problem after problem. Leaky coil. Faulty defrost control board. faulty air handler control board. faulty TXV. List goes on and on and on

And it's just the heat pumps. And no particular model, either

No, but I have noticed that York has had some really crappy service issues on their equipment that they quietly address but don't really admit to publicly, nor do they care to notify dealers. Even still its great equipment but they have definitely gone through some growing pains. The newest York head scratcher is the fact that their 2-stage equipment can fail to work with 2-stage thermostats. What happens is about once or twice a week the heat will come on with no fan and it will smoke out the house and shut off on high limit. No bulletins were ever sent to me and I had to spend hours trying to figure it out with no help from tech services. I finally found a good distributor rep to help me with it after wasting tons of time and money. The fix is to disconnect W2 and use the board timer...
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Good to know, especially since I just started running repair calls

if the coils are the "blue fin coils" there was a big recall on them, try to talk to virgina air they are the york distributor for north carolina

Well aware of the blue fin coil. I've yet to come across one, but I have sure come across a lot of ones that were replaced for that reason. My company sells york, So I see the stuff a decent amount

Quote Originally Posted by davidj001 View Post
    if the coils are the "blue fin coils" there was a big recall on them, try to talk to virgina air they are the york distributor for north carolina
    what's up with this?

I don't do much with York, but got an rare York HP with second dead compressor and the indoor unit did have blue fin coil.

Thanks
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

i've replaced probly half a dozen o.d.txv's and 3 r-valves, had a couple fan boards in the ahp units where the screw terminal for the fan would not work but the spade connector right next to it worked just fine, some of the avy units would not hit full speed when y2 energized.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    what's up with this?

I don't do much with York, but got an rare York HP with second dead compressor and the indoor unit did have blue fin coil.

Thanks
    Coils made in <> '04~'06 had blue coating and made in Maheco. Coating trapped boogers underneith and ALL leaked.
    I think the one in my house is the only one I have not replaced?? Coils now made in OK (my understanding) and don't see many leakers.

ECM motors were from AO Smith and are a POS! This is being rectified, my understanding.
    I change as many Trane boards as I do York so not an issue here.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    No, but I have noticed that York has had some really crappy service issues on their equipment that they quietly address but don't really admit to publicly, nor do they care to notify dealers. Even still its great equipment but they have definitely gone through some growing pains. The newest York head scratcher is the fact that their 2-stage equipment can fail to work with 2-stage thermostats. What happens is about once or twice a week the heat will come on with no fan and it will smoke out the house and shut off on high limit. No bulletins were ever sent to me and I had to spend hours trying to figure it out with no help from tech services. I finally found a good distributor rep to help me with it after wasting tons of time and money. The fix is to disconnect W2 and use the board timer...
    LT, is this an AHU board thingie?
    Good Info!
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM