Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    depends .... if its a customer who always complains " dat bill too spensive " its getting cleaned.

If they pay their bills without question , give them a shiny new Txv if the supply house is near by

Regarding the defrost, are there electric elements or is this air defrost? If electric, I'd be testing that circuit right after I thawed the ice. Hell with taking apart a TXV until I knew if the unit was defrosting correctly.

jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by TempcoDog View Post
    Yes I did in post #24. And JP if you remove the TXV and service it and even change power head why not just replace it? For the cost of time to sweat it out ( even better if they are flare), re- install, vacuum, etc and just a couple hundred more to replace. I've replace a few that had leaks in the body already in my short career.
    Why remove it?

Just take it apart in place. No need to unsweat most TEVs to service them.

If you've got to take it out, then replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    depends .... if its a customer who always complains " dat bill too spensive " its getting cleaned.

If they pay their bills without question , give them a shiny new Txv if the supply house is near by
    Sporlan makes a kit that you can carry on your truck and build a TEV right out of the box.

Saves those trips to the supply house.

Quote Originally Posted by TempcoDog View Post
    A motor up top too? Really hey? Haven't seen that yet. Yes one TXV. I never looked at the sight glass when I was on the roof as I just opened the electrical panel.
    Monday will have to get their staff to remove product and get the back panel off to check for another motor and see if any obstruction. dont think these have another motor. then also check if evidence of a leak starting from condenser.

We recently had a problem at a grocery store where half of the coil would freeze up. We found that the filter for the ambient air curtain was plugged solid. The cold air would drop to the floor, freeze the water in the drain line and ice up half the coil. We cleaned the filters and have not had a problem since.

If drain pan doesn't clear fast enough you will see ice on the cold side of the case. Open cases (headaches) are the garbage collectors where the grape seeds,gum,etc. wind up. The case drain flushed ok? A long time back when the same thing was happening to me on a new case I finally got mad enuf to empty the whole case and found an air drill under the fan shroud. The cold side of the case will ice up first even if all is clear on that side.

That's interesting Neil. Yes lots of crap collects and the adjoining case had a plugged drain last week. But my case in question has been good. Once I took panels Nd shelves off I discovered a very large build up of ice on back side of coil. Spent some time defrosting it

Shouldn't there be a divider (plastic wall) between the two cases to prevent what happens in one to affect the other?
    In an infinite universe, not only are all things possible, all things are necessary

Quote Originally Posted by BDOLIN View Post
    Shouldn't there be a divider (plastic wall) between the two cases to prevent what happens in one to affect the other?
    This is common on frozen foods cases with defrost that require additional heat.

Open air cases with off-time defrosts don't typically have dividers.

Abnormal moisture will always find a way to plug things up

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    This is common on frozen foods cases with defrost that require additional heat.

Open air cases with off-time defrosts don't typically have dividers.
    Of course you are right, cases in supermarkets with common suction groups would not be divided. Since these two cases are on separate condensing units, I wonder if the warmer air from one case in defrost (even just off cycle) could affect the thermostat of the other case and cause it to overcool.
    Just a thought.
    In an infinite universe, not only are all things possible, all things are necessary

Quote Originally Posted by BDOLIN View Post
    Of course you are right, cases in supermarkets with common suction groups would not be divided. Since these two cases are on separate condensing units, I wonder if the warmer air from one case in defrost (even just off cycle) could affect the thermostat of the other case and cause it to overcool.
    Just a thought.
    Even open-air cases on different suction groups don't have dividers that I've ever seen.

I'm going back a bit here, but about 30 years ago Hussmann (I believe) required dividers between gas & electric defrost cases on different circuits or systems and recommended them for all others.

I haven't found any current requirements...but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast