Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Refrigeration capillary tube cleaning

Does anyone have one of these, or has anyone tried one? Im sick of restricted cap tubes and I am looking for an easier solution
    http://www.hvacr-tools.com/mm5/merch...e=CAPTUBETOOLS

Thanx in advance
    What cant be done correctly shouldn't be done at all

I was thinking about a cap cleaner to. Can I ask are you working on cap tube systems or are you talking about the distributor tube on a TXV system?
    Scooter

UA Local 630
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    RSES
    FL. Class A License

www.enterpriseaire.com

Looks like a lot of money for a glorified bottle jack or porta-power.

FWIW with POE I think replacing the whole thing might be better since what I've heard with the oil break down and depositing in the tube is an irreversible reaction. Once it starts breaking down it doesn't stop.
    New correct sized tube, new filter drier, fresh oil and good vacuum will keep you from doing this again and again.
    There is a good chance all of these thing were not when the unit was new and accelerated all these problems
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Saw an advert in a trade magazine about PVE Oil. Compatible with HFC refrigerants an no hydrolysis like POE. http://pag-idemitsu-usa.com/pve_benefits.htm
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Woooow. Thats $$$$. You can buy alot of nitrogen for less money.
    How about replacing the captubes or install a TXV instead.

Got it, use it, it works. You may want to do some searches on here as there have been a few threads on this very subject already.
    "The trouble with the world is the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt" -Bertrand Russell

I have a tech book on refrigeration that talks about a device that shoots a small projective through the cap tube(I think it is pushed with nitrogen) to clean it and it pretty much just lays in the evap coil. Has anyone heard of this. If not, I will try to locate the pargagraph on it and give an accurate explanation of how the device works.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    I have a tech book on refrigeration that talks about a device that shoots a small projective through the cap tube(I think it is pushed with nitrogen) to clean it and it pretty much just lays in the evap coil. Has anyone heard of this. If not, I will try to locate the pargagraph on it and give an accurate explanation of how the device works.
    Try and dig that up, I'd like to read it, sending more crap through a plugged cap tube does sound like a bad idea to me though. I try and blow nitro through them, if I have no luck I put in new correctly sized cap tubes. for 10-20$ I'd rather have new ones in there as opposed to cleaning them and having them clog again or have a leak a few months later.

Forcing any amount of pressure through any tube won't guaranty you've removed the obstruction.
    imho I would replace the part, not experiment and hope it works.
    You still have the issue of where did the obstruction come from and what else is getting messed up.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

Quote Originally Posted by MechAcc View Post
    Saw an advert in a trade magazine about PVE Oil. Compatible with HFC refrigerants an no hydrolysis like POE. http://pag-idemitsu-usa.com/pve_benefits.htm
    FREE SAMPLES !!!
    WooooWhoooooo

Thanks Mech

I'd like a 55gallon drum please
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by Miller257 View Post
    Try and dig that up, I'd like to read it, sending more crap through a plugged cap tube does sound like a bad idea to me though. I try and blow nitro through them, if I have no luck I put in new correctly sized cap tubes. for 10-20$ I'd rather have new ones in there as opposed to cleaning them and having them clog again or have a leak a few months later.
    You asked for it, so here it is: Taken from "Technician's Guide to Refrigeration Systems".
    Capillary tube cleaning kit. A capillary tube cleaning kit contains a portable hydraulic unit that can generate 500 psi of pressure, as well as a set of lead alloy wires. Each wire is several thousandths of an inch smaller than the diameter of a standard sized capillary tube. A short piece of the appropriate wire is inserted 3/8 inch into the capillary tube. The tubing is attached to the portable hydraulic unit, which forces the wire through the tube, pushing out any obstructions in the capillary tube. The wire simply falls into the evaporator after passing through the tube. It does not have to be removed and will cause no problems. if operating conditions indicate that the cleaning might not have been sucessful, the capillary tube should be replaced.

Sounds like it would be good on a system that you just do not want to change the cap tube in. Hope this helps. Sounds like a neat tool to me, but for what it probably costs if you can even locate one and by the time you cut the tube one end, may as well just change it.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

I do mostly txv work but have owned and used a Thermal cap cleaner for over twenty five years. You can save a lot of time when it works. Success rate about 75%. Push oil first then push wire. A clean tube is like a new tube both require a good inlet drier and clean oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast