Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

R-22 Alteratives Pro's and Con any help

I have several Clients that are asking about changing Units over from R-22 and I've had allot of mixed message's about this please provide some input

Tell them a brand new 410a unit works fantastic

Clients are just out of the warrantey period and still have life in the Units they are very good about replacement when Units reach the age of 10 years old but with the price of R-22 going up the are seeking out others ways and asking before they take the leap. I have heard allot of mix feelings and thought I would ask the mass's on here

In all honesty, the biggest favor you can do for them is steer them to a new 410 unit. Its just a matter of spending some money now to spend less down the line. 407c is the best we have come across as a drop in replacement, but at best you are getting 90% efficiency of the BTUs the system is rated at. I don't know about Ohio, but that doesn't cut it down here when the needle gets past 100 degrees.

You shouldn't need to add refrigerant unless of course there is a leak. If they are fairly new as you say, and just needs a leak repair, i would give the replacements a try if that is what the owner wants. You can do a search on here. There has been much talk already about this.

I was at a class recently and met two different guys (both business owners) that swear by MO99. One guy uses it with new dry R22 condensers or after completely evacuating a system. The other guy actually just drops it right in on top of R22 already in a system (I know this is wrong, but he claims to have never had a problem doing it).

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhvac75 View Post
    I was at a class recently and met two different guys (both business owners) that swear by MO99. One guy uses it with new dry R22 condensers or after completely evacuating a system. The other guy actually just drops it right in on top of R22 already in a system (I know this is wrong, but he claims to have never had a problem doing it).
    I've heard similar things about NU22, including "topping off" with it. I am planning to use it the next dry unit I install. As far as mixing, I'm going to wait and see for awhile.

French Settlement, Louisiana, United States
    The last dry condensor I did I asked the supplier about a alternate refrigerant and was told warranty was only valid with R22.

Im only an apprentice but the qualified guy's Im working with have be been dropping in MO99 with no problems.

A few dry units approve of 407 in them.

If you combine them you'll end up with an azeotropic mixture, partial pressures and potentially different leak rates. And of course you can toss the factory charging chart out the window. Good luck doing that on a critically charged system.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

I've got two 5t dry units going in wed. with 422d. Commercial setup so no ARI match needed, twinned 120k gas furnaces with evap. coils buried behind ductwork. Low budget. We will see how she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete838 View Post
    I've got two 5t dry units going in wed. with 422d. Commercial setup so no ARI match needed, twinned 120k gas furnaces with evap. coils buried behind ductwork. Low budget. We will see how she goes.
    What type of building is using 120BTU twinned furnaces in Gainesville?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast