Thread: Ductless heat pump / AC outdoor unit installed on my porch?

Post Likes

Confused Ductless heat pump / AC outdoor unit installed on my porch?

I am looking at the options of installing a ductless mini split heat pump (18000 BTU) and was given 3 options:

1). Wall bracket - lowest cost one but may have vibration/noise issue according to the contractor
    2). Concrete slabs on the ground - recommended by the contractor but highest cost because of the amount of the work
    3). On my wooden porch - may have noise issue because it will be closed to my living room window

The porch option seems pretty good to me because a. it has a roof so the unit will be protected against snow/rain and b. because it's already perfectly level so it cost less than option 2. As to the noise, I think it should be all right because it's at least 1 feet from the windows and it's my living room, not my bedrooms.

Am I correct? I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you!

Post Likes
    sound absorbing materials will ease viberation
    if wall bracket is used, but sounds like contractor isn't into this.

pre fab pads take the work out of the equation.
    time needed to level ground is only work to it.

I have my 2 ton condnesor for my split system hp
    on concrete blocks on ground with pre fab pad on top of blocks.
    (so dog won't pee on fins!)

units are ok to leave in weather, you wouldn't need
    to put it on the porch for that. and it would be loud
    in lr.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Thank you for your reply!

Post Likes
    prefab slabs work great. IF you're tight on cash, get a shovel out, make a nice 4" deep by 4' swquare space. Fill it with limestone gravel 2" above grade and tamp it down good. Now you have a very nice level spot for a precast pad or even jsut a palstic pad.

If you're really ambitios, you can get some 2x4's and for your own pad over the gravel.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    I don't know what brand you are looking at but I have a Fujitsu inverter mini split HP for my garage & you can barely hear the outside unit running. Even standing right next to it.

Post Likes
    Thanks! 2x4 seems like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    prefab slabs work great. IF you're tight on cash, get a shovel out, make a nice 4" deep by 4' swquare space. Fill it with limestone gravel 2" above grade and tamp it down good. Now you have a very nice level spot for a precast pad or even jsut a palstic pad.

If you're really ambitios, you can get some 2x4's and for your own pad over the gravel.
    Last edited by liboathfx; 02-04-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Post Likes
    I am getting a Senville 18000BTU:
    http://senville.com/air-conditioners...lle-18000-btu/

It has a TOSHIBA compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    I don't know what brand you are looking at but I have a Fujitsu inverter mini split HP for my garage & you can barely hear the outside unit running. Even standing right next to it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post

How would you anchor the unit to the prefab slab? There's nothing to lag to.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    make a platform out of treated lumber and put the legs in the ground and the screw the outdoor unit to it, wedo plenty of units this way in the areas that are just above sea level

Post Likes

I think this was supposed to say pour your own pad....?
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Here is an idea I use to anchor minisplits to preformed pads. I take 10' of all thread and cut in 4 pieces. Put a nut and washer on one end then drive through mounting flange and pad into the ground. May not keep thieves from taking unit but it is very secure from moving and turning over. Of course it helps if your not in rocky country.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in