Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

York with NO HEAT

We had a York Affinity 9.C Series Modulating Furnace (80,000BTU) installed in March of 2008, and had no problems last winter. Today, we had no heat and the circut board had 5 red flashes repeating. We called our installer, who came out within a few hours, but suggested that the problem may have been becuase we closed our basement registers, a switch was overheating. We always close the basement registers in the winter so that more warm air reaches the 2 floors above, but we opened them all as he suggested.

It's 2AM and we have no heat again, and will have to have the installer out again in the morning. Any suggestions on what I can tell him to look for? I was never happy with the horizontal pitch of the 2 vent/intake pipes. I don't want to suggest a red herring, but could that be an issue?

The horizontal vent runs should pitch towards the unit and have no sagging sections. Condensation will settle in these sags and result in a loss of pressure in the draft induction system.

Not sure on the code for that unit,but sounds like it tripped the primary hi limit.I'd be looking at air flow or gas pressure issues if thats the case.Plugged filter maybe!

Have you cleaned or changed your air filter recently.

Shouldn't trip just because you closed the basement regs(its a mod). The blower will speed up to maintain temp rise(unless your at design conditions, and its going to 100% input rate).
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Yes, I change my Merv 10 or 11 filter at least 3 times per year (I listen to you guys, and gals, on this forum), and the installer said that the filter was fine.

The horizontal runs have only a very slight pitch to them, if any, they are actually quite level, and then when it goes outside there is a 90 elbow and the vent pipe contines upwards for about 18 inches. I'm thinking that there may be condensation build up in that elbow, and with the freezing temperatures it has blocked some flow.

What I had to do last night to get heat is set the thermostat for 0.5 degrees more than the room temperature, it would acheive that level, I would wait for the furnace to shut off, wait 15 minutes, then repeat. By using this method, I was able to get the house to a resonable temperature and it was maintained for the night. It looks as though the 5 red flashing lights and no heat only happens when there are long heat runs. I reviewed my furnace manual last night, and will show the installer where it says this signal is due to a "roll out switch".

I hope he is able to figure it out. This mod worked great last year! If there is anythinbg else I should "remind" my installer to check, please let me know - I think he was a bit stumped yesterday.

More than likely a condensation build up issue. 5 red flashes are both a condensate pressure switch open (which I suspect) or a flame role out issue (which I don't suspect) as you would have to do a manual reset on. Please do not push any buttons to reset anything! Let your HVAC contractor trouble shoot! Good luck! BTW, those York mods are nice units.

Have him call the supply house and check on replacement pressure switches - York may provide them under warranty. They had a problem with the contacts in some of them - pressure switch would close, but the contacts would not make connection due to pitting. There is no way to check for this except to make the call and run the model and serial.

As long as the venting slopes back at the rate of 1/4" per foot, with no sags, it's good.
    The Lord must love stupid people or he wouldn't have made so many.

Why is it that when I am in a hurry, everyone else on the road goes 15 MPH under the speed limit?

My installer is pretty confident that it is either a high limit switch problem, or a board problem. Either way it will be covered under warranty, but I hope this fixes the problem.

No one on the forum suggest these options, and I've come to trust all of your opinions. Does either option sound right? I suggested the venting issue, but regardless of the slope, he doesn't think the venting is blocked with ice as there is lots of steam on the outside when the furnace is running, and he says that the furnace wouldn't run at all if that was the case.

Thanks again for all of your help - my installer doesn't mind me suggesting your theories to him. He hasn't seen this problem before with his York's, and he seems to be taking the time to try and understand the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by allsmiles View Post
    My installer is pretty confident that it is either a high limit switch problem, or a board problem. Either way it will be covered under warranty, but I hope this fixes the problem.

No one on the forum suggest these options, and I've come to trust all of your opinions. Does either option sound right? I suggested the venting issue, but regardless of the slope, he doesn't think the venting is blocked with ice as there is lots of steam on the outside when the furnace is running, and he says that the furnace wouldn't run at all if that was the case.

Thanks again for all of your help - my installer doesn't mind me suggesting your theories to him. He hasn't seen this problem before with his York's, and he seems to be taking the time to try and understand the problem.
    The cause i see with this code is 90% of the time a problem with the condensate drain line. Run a seperate line and do not connect it with the a/c coil drain. The drain comming from the gas part of the unit has to be vented and free flowing into a vented drain. I bet you have drain issues and under high fire it is backing up condensate. I have never had a board problem. Also the pressure transducres to run the venter motor have had some reported issues. They have had a few problems with the pressure switches.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

You could have a blockage in the condensation tubing; most of the time we don't have pressure switch problems, but it CAN happen.

Be sure the technician checks the TD and all the drain tubes.

Thanks! The drain line from the furnace is veneted seperately, although it does tie in later to the drain tube of the humidifier and AC coil. I'll mention this to him on Monday. The problem certainly only happens with long runs for high heat. We kept the heat settings a bit lower than usual before we went to bed last night, and the furnace worked fine. I just hope that he still fixes the problem instead of saying "the red flashes have one away now, so it must be OK"

That furnace control board retains the last five errors codes.

So he can see what it said was the problem/fault.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=441652

Run a seperate drain line with a vent at the furnace, make sure the drian outlet does not sit in the water.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast