Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice on new system estimates

Hey everyone. Our basement system just crapped out on us (System had a massive leak in indoor coil and compressor is shot). We had a contractor come in earlier to quote us on a new system. He said he would do a load calculation, but I think he did it in his head (not good). Current system is Trane 1.5 ton XR11 from 2003 (Sad it lived short life, sigh...). Basement is around 2200 sq. ft. finished. l will definitely update this thread tomorrow as another contractor is coming out. Here's the estimates from today's contractor:

Remove old equipment and install new Trane XR13 1.5 ton R-410A heat pump with matching TAM4 2 ton air handler w/ 5 kw electric heat strips. Refrigerant lines will flushed and evacuated. New unit pad. New Secondary Drain pan for air handler.

This guy didn't recommend anything higher than 13 seer for our basement since a basement's heating/cooling load is very small (I've always known about small heating/air loads for basement). He also didn't really inspect the ductwork. He mentioned that the current supply and return plenums are okay. When he was going over the information about the new system with me, he said "The aluminum coil in the Trane Hyperion air handlers will never leak." Is this true??? (I think not)

So what's everyone's opinion on this estimate? Should I look elsewhere? I'll post the next estimate as soon as possible tomorrow. Any insight appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Never say never but the all aluminum coils are doing very well on the no leak front.

Sounds like a good system for you. High SEER for a basement won't pay back in the life of the unit in most cases.

Thanks for the reply. He did say that the Hyperions are great air handlers, which I agree by looking at the features.

For basements, he did recommend 13-14 seer range. I agree that higher seer doesn't sound too necessary. The other contractor coming tomorrow sells Lennox.

By the way, I was wondering why the contractor quoted us on a 2 ton air handler instead of the 1.5 ton model. What do you think?
    Last edited by 545GAlady; 08-13-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: add't info

1.5 to a 2 ton wont make any difference.
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

The TAM4A0A24 (2 ton) is the correct matching indoor unit for the newest revision of the 1.5 ton XR13 (and was acceptable with the previous revision, with slightly higher capacity). The difference is now all the 13 SEER Trane units are using scroll compressors. As BL said I too think it is a good system for your basement.

Thanks everyone for the input. The second contractor came earlier and quoted us on the following:

Option 1: Lennox 13HPX-018 13 seer 1.5 Merit Series Heat Pump with Lennox CBX26UH-018 Merit Series Air Handler w/ 5 kw strip heater.
    Option 2: Lennox 14HPX-018 14 seer 1.5 Merit Series Heat Pump with Lennox CBX26UH-018 Merit Series Air Handler w/ 5 kw strip heater.
    Option 3: Lennox 14HPX-024 14 seer 2 ton Merit Series Heat Pump with Lennox CBX32MV-024/30 Multi Position Variable Speed R410A Air Handler (option 3 most expensive obviously)

Install will include new unit pad, Auxillary Drain Pan with Float Switch. New condensate pump.

This contractor did do a load calculation. Size is a same as other guy's quote. What's your opinion on these? Which route should we go with?

My opinion, given the choices and basement location, XR13 and TAM4 is the way to go. I'm assuming both are reputable dealers, perhaps with which you've done business in the past?

What's the reasoning for the 2 ton heat pump in Option 3 rather than 1.5?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    My opinion, given the choices and basement location, XR13 and TAM4 is the way to go. I'm assuming both are reputable dealers, perhaps with which you've done business in the past?

What's the reasoning for the 2 ton heat pump in Option 3 rather than 1.5?
    Thanks for your insight. Both dealers are very reputable, the one selling Lennox is from a company we have used before. They do a great job. We have never used the company selling Trane before, and that company is one of the top rated in the area. We feel that the Trane estimate was more detailed and we had more confidence in that dealer. Because of that, the Trane XR13 will be the winner.

I have no idea, probably because of the variable-speed air handler.

Lennox units are low end Mexican line, below the XR13 in quality. The XP models are closer but Lennox doesn't have demand defrost which eliminates hundreds of unneeded defrosts each winter.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

i would rather have the tam7 air handler its better for humidity control
    We really need change now

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Lennox units are low end Mexican line, below the XR13 in quality. The XP models are closer but Lennox doesn't have demand defrost which eliminates hundreds of unneeded defrosts each winter.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
    This is one of the other reasons why we chose the Trane model. Thanks for the input about the demand defrost.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    i would rather have the tam7 air handler its better for humidity control
    The contractor didn't recommend variable-speed for our basement due to the little heating/cooling need. If money wasn't a concern, then we would've spent extra for the TAM7.

Hey yall, I have another question. The Lennox dealer said he was going to increase the liquid line size up to 3/8. However, the Trane dealer never mentioned anything about increasing the liquid line size. Since we chose the 1.5 ton Trane XR13 and TAM4 air handler from the Trane dealer, does the liquid line need to be replaced with a larger size??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast