Thread: water heater timer.. save money?

Post Likes

water heater timer.. save money?

Propane powervent waterheater, operates nearly the same as a modern furnace.. plugs into a standard wall outlet, draws very little current. I like to shower just before bed, and I hate listening to the waterheater run when hot water will not be needed until 6:00AM. Is there any real savings in putting a timer on the electrical (can use a heavy-duty grounded lamp timer) so the heater will not bother to run until morning? Could even do the same thing during the day, when no one is home. Mike.

Post Likes
    An insulation blanket is helpfull if you already don't have one.
    In theory it's cheaper to maintain a temp than to have reheat the water after long period of downtime. So you either pay Peter or steal from Paul.

Post Likes
    Be very careful with water heater blankets. In almost all cases, they will tear loose falling to the floor blocking air from entering and can lead to carbon monoxide production. Modern WHs are insulated rather well. Pick a lower temp. and live with it. If your WH is oversized for your demand, you will waste energy no matter what else you do. You can insulate the hot water pipes to cut down on heat loss through them esp. if 3/4". You can install an instant hot water recirculating kit that responds to hot water flowing at one point of use.

As stated, allowing the water to cool down will require much energy to re-heat and you have to allow sufficient time lag. You could install a tankless WH for about double the cost plus more maintenance but these things often struggle to do the job.

Post Likes
    Good info on the blanket, One would assume the manufacturer would insulate well enough but I guess that would come down to the amount you would pay whether top of the line or lower end.

Post Likes
    thanks for the replies! BTW, my water heater is a sealed combustion unit, has an air intake and exhaust, 2 pipes exiting the house, just like a furnace!

Post Likes
    Save energy yes, but may decrease the life of the heater.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timjimbob View Post
    Save energy yes, but may decrease the life of the heater.
    Kind of like a woman with hot flashes. I'm must be bored.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in