Where to buy mastic--Home Depot?

I need to seal the inside of our (downflow) plenum. Gaps exist between the sheet metal lap joints. Where does one buy mastic? Are there other caulking compounts that are acceptable alternates? I don't want the material to flake off or have fumes that we can smell when the furnace is running.Thx.
    Last edited by Henry1; 12-29-2006 at 09:53 PM. Reason: To receive automatic email notification

Yes, I've seem them at Home Depot, the got the tub and tube. (May vary by stores)

Otherwise, maybe at a wholesaler, HVAC dealer or on line.

Frown

Try a HVAC wholesaler. # 6 work good. You can put it own with a brush. If your holes are big, get a roll of fiber tape and mask over it. If possible go over all the joints in your duct system. Supply and return. Metal or Duct board.
    Blue Fox

where do you buy mastic

Just bought some in home depot - it is called duct sealant. It comes in a tube or tub. Tub is much more cost effective. You need to brush it on. Works much better than duct tape which dries out.

Should have tried RCD Corp. www.rcdmastics.com
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

Since this thread have been here for quite some time, I think you already know that mastic and its applicator can be easily purchased online.

removed link
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-11-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: removed link

Lowes sells it too.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleAirOasis View Post
    Has anyone here already been using Air Oasis equipment to solve air quality problems for customers. Air Oasis has an incredibly high success rate with customer satisfaction, I'm wondering how many HVAC businesses here are even aware of how that can benefit your business by promoting a real service to the people you work for, to make a dramatic improvement in their indoor environment with the NASA-developed technology of Air Oasis. Please reply if you've been to removed link before, or have a personal experience with the technology. Also, post any questions about the equipment.
    dude, you are on it!! i gatta tell ya though, this type of advertising you are doing makes me want to shy away from your product. to me it shows a lack of pride.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-11-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: removed link

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleAirOasis View Post
    Has anyone here already been using Air Oasis equipment to solve air quality problems for customers. Air Oasis has an incredibly high success rate with customer satisfaction, I'm wondering how many HVAC businesses here are even aware of how that can benefit your business by promoting a real service to the people you work for, to make a dramatic improvement in their indoor environment with the NASA-developed technology of Air Oasis. Please reply if you've been to removed link before, or have a personal experience with the technology. Also, post any questions about the equipment.
    Dude, seriously,,,,,,these people will laugh at you.
    Especially me.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-11-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: removed link
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

Yes, you can buy mastic at home depot, since you are smelling gas i am gonna also tell you that you need to by foil tape with a ul rating i think the code now is ul 141 tape. you tape up the open areas and then layer the mastic on top of it. the mastic at home depot is not as good as the stuff companies use but it will work.

Duct Sealer

It was no mean feat to find any suppliers of duct mastic, sealant or sealer in the GTA. I had no luck at Lowes, Home Depot or Rona, nor a number of smaller heating/plumbing suppliers. Eventually, someone recommended Don Park.

Don Park carries duct sealer, selling it by the tub and tube. They have a number of stores in the GTA, including Rexdale.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hildebrandt View Post
    It was no mean feat to find any suppliers of duct mastic, sealant or sealer in the GTA. I had no luck at Lowes, Home Depot or Rona, nor a number of smaller heating/plumbing suppliers. Eventually, someone recommended Don Park.

Don Park carries duct sealer, selling it by the tub and tube. They have a number of stores in the GTA, including Rexdale.
    I am having same problem in Eastern Ontario. None of the box stores carry anything specifically called duct seal. No Don Parkd down here. Will try one of the HVAC wholesalers. I have a contractor who is supposed to seal our existing ducts, but I wanted to do the insides of the register boxes and the hard duct above as far as I can reach inside.

Inside Use OK???

On careful read of OP, it seems like he will be using mastic INSIDE the ductwork...
    Is that considered OK???