+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Trane S-Series CenTraVac

Post Likes

New Trane S-Series CenTraVac

Not much to go on, but it's exciting to see them finally coming out with something new. I was beginning to wonder if they were going to give up the small-tonnage centrifugal market completely to York and McQuay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_H7KyV3zvo
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Been a slow Trane coming back from the Poses era.

On first pass looks like a modernization of the LCV compressor mounted on CVH vessels - Original S Series was first released 2002/03 then mothballed along with a whole lot of other product development and engineering talent in the company.
    Necessity is the mother of invention

Post Likes
    Wasn't the original S series just a brown paper bag CVHE with some extra piping and ceramic bearings? The permanent magnet motor on this thing interests me. It's gonna be interesting to start seeing the differences and similarities between this and the current stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwit View Post
    Been a slow Trane coming back from the Poses era.

On first pass looks like a modernization of the LCV compressor mounted on CVH vessels - Original S Series was first released 2002/03 then mothballed along with a whole lot of other product development and engineering talent in the company.
    Frankly, I was beginning to think all engineering talent was gone. I can't help but wonder how much of this was engineered "in-house". Hopefully a lot, if not all.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Wasn't the original S series just a brown paper bag CVHE with some extra piping and ceramic bearings? The permanent magnet motor on this thing interests me. It's gonna be interesting to start seeing the differences and similarities between this and the current stuff.
    That's what I remember about an "S Series" too, Rob. I heard there are some out there, but I haven't seen one. I can't wait to see this new one! Gotta make some phone calls to my local Trane buddies!

Post Likes
    This chiller is going back to the spool design but modern and small footprint with compressor on top. Reason being the thrust is cancelled out. There are many old spools still running that have never been torn down. It has ceramic bearings and no oil. All of these chillers will be AFD.

Post Likes
    I wonder if it's going to be falling film or flooded with fixed orifice? All of the flash gas in a falling film evap is passed directly to the suction. The vent line that enters the interstage crossover pipe on the Series-S makes me think fixed orifice with an economizer.

This'll be the first time anyone has ever associated an "AFD Centravac" with a "small footprint".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    This chiller is going back to the spool design but modern and small footprint with compressor on top. Reason being the thrust is cancelled out. There are many old spools still running that have never been torn down. It has ceramic bearings and no oil. All of these chillers will be AFD.
    I always liked that about both the "spool" (or "benchgrinder") AND the "sidewinder" chillers. "Stacking" all the thrust in one direction, and managing it with roller, then ball bearings, was a step backwards in "thrust management", in my opinion. In spite of this, I still consider the CVHE/F chiller to be the best available. But with the "S-Series", that may soon change ...

Post Likes
    It looks as though Trane has changed it's mind again about using ceramic bearings. Or maybe it's a matter of who currently has the upper hand - engineers or bean counters.

Post Likes
    Dang it!! I want details! Anybody want help a frustrated tech out? Pdf's and links welcomed...

Post Likes
    I can't find any details on this thing on eLibrary. Maybe the factory will wait until they crash a few to write a manual?

Post Likes
    No listing on the AHRI certification website as yet so suspect release for sale (including literature) is still pending

Post Likes
    I wonder if the factory will have that huge flat screen as an option for you old guys?

Post Likes
    ???

Post Likes
    I am assuming ceramic bearings are the better bearings than the traditional ball bearing type

Anyone got a PDF on the bearings themselves.?

As far as the bean counter vs engineers, I'm going for the engineer!
    But their both a tough market-
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Milkyway, attached courtesy of google.

You might want to read up on permanent magnet motors as well.

http://www.permanentmagnetmotor.org/

Post Likes
    Thx!
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    Good reading material, Screwit. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Thanks a bunch Screwit...Very good reading there. Now...Fire up the Bar-B and pop open one of those HUGE beers ya'll make "Down There"...
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    Thanks a bunch Screwit...Very good reading there. Now...Fire up the Bar-B and pop open one of those HUGE beers ya'll make "Down There"...
    No problems, I'll have to have an extra one for you. Cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in